Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 broadhead choice >

broadhead choice

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

broadhead choice

Old 01-02-2006, 12:28 PM

Default broadhead choice

I have a hoyt ultra tech and i am not sure what broad heads to buy as a beginer. I am 15 so my bow is set at 50lbs and i am trying to find out fixed or mechanical? 100 grain? or what brand? how many blades 3,4?

Old 01-02-2006, 12:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: broadhead choice

Being as your bow is set for 50lbs I would recommend using a fixed blade even though a mechanical may work fine.I like the 3 blade designs.They are the most popular.For a fixed head check out Thunderheads,or Rocky Mountain Titanium's.I have used both with great success,and they are very sharp.It depends on your arrows weight as to what size broadhead to use,but 100gr is probably going to be a good starting point.What arrow are you using?How long is it cut?That will help to determine what size head to use.You may be able to use a 75-85gr head.You want the arrow to be balanced...slightly forward.I'll help you determine what size head to get.Just tell me those two things.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:58 PM

2 words. Magnus Stinger. 100gr. They fly exceptionally well, and are razor sharp. Plus, they are warranted for life.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:01 PM

At 50 pounds I would not use a mechanical. It takes quite a bit of kE to open them up and still have good penetration. A cut on contact or a fixed blade will give you the best results. The 100 grain is a good point to start. I like my arrowto be a little heavy on FOC.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Check out some Rocky Mtn. Turbos as well. Short head, 100 grain with a 1 1/8" cut, flies like a field point and as well as any mechanical blade head.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Magnus Stinger. With 50lbs, you want a cut on contact head to ensure good penetration. The Stinger is also warrentied for life and they are just awesome heads.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Slick Tricks! I bought 3 blade 100's this year they hit the exact same spot as my field tips! Which is what I wanted! I'm done searching for the perfect broadhead! Good Luck!
Old 01-03-2006, 02:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

You will want a smaller head to maximize penetration. Either a cut on contact two or 4 blade 1 1/8" or less or one of the newer 1" three blade heads now on the market. The key is to tune your bow properly, and use a smaller head to get good entrance and exit wounds. You can get some good info on tuning and selecting a broadhead on the free side of my website, www.broadheadtests.com
Old 01-03-2006, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

I can't go wrong using Slick Tricks 100 grain.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are a bunch of fixed blade heads you can't go wrong with. I've a long time fan of cut on contact heads. They'll do well with any setup, ranging from a selfbow hacked out of a tree limb and strung with kite string to the most high tech compound you can get, and any critter from rabbit to elephant. So, I'd have absolutely no problem adding my recommendation for the Magnus Stinger.

There is the Bear Razorhead Lite too and it's a pretty good head. But I'd take the Magnus Stinger over the Bear, if possible, because the steel is higher quality and takes a keener edge.

If you want a replaceable blade head, then the Muzzy 100 gn 3-blade is as good as any and, I think, better than most.Thunderheads are okay, but Muzzy would still be my first choice. Rocky Mountain Turbos are up there as well - I don't think anyone makes blades with better out of the box sharpness than Rocky Mountain. I've never used SlickTricks, so I'll defer to the guys who have used them.

Quick Reply: broadhead choice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.