Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 arthur, bg, paul, and other smart folks, a ? >

arthur, bg, paul, and other smart folks, a ?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

arthur, bg, paul, and other smart folks, a ?

Old 12-23-2005, 07:56 PM

Default RE: arthur, bg, paul, and other smart folks, a ?

i think you're right paul. we'll have to let utm look over this and decide. bowfanatic, there are ways around that, whether you agree with those ways or not, that doesn't matter.lets let utm make hisown decisions. what's a warranty worth on a bow that's too long, that no one wants to buy, and thatyou can't shoot correctly?no warranty if he sells it. doesn't need one if it sits in his closet, what'syour point exactly?
Old 12-23-2005, 11:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gibblet

bowfanatic, there are ways around that, whether you agree with those ways or not, that doesn't matter.lets let utm make hisown decisions. what's a warranty worth on a bow that's too long, that no one wants to buy, and thatyou can't shoot correctly?no warranty if he sells it. doesn't need one if it sits in his closet, what'syour point exactly?
Am I misunderstanding your reply , because to me it came accross as sort of a pissy reply. You asked for opinions and I gave you mine..IMO your asking for a boat load of trouble by shortening the string an inch to achieve your goal. Sorry if my opinion isn't what you wanted to hear , but whoever is going to be shooting the bow should hear it.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:51 AM

it may have been a bit, other circumstances, not you, sorry. he's in a pickle though if you've been reading his posts (utmstudent), and while it may have been a bit, well, like you said, the circumstances i describe are correct.

well, no worries now, the shop owner sold him one 1/2" short.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have not been reading all of the threads with the problems but why can't you just install a different module or make post adjustments?
Old 12-24-2005, 10:50 PM

The bow he got doesn't adjust down low enough for his draw length. He basically got ripped when someone sold him the bow. I don't know his particulars without looking them up if they were posted but some bows only go down to 27 inches (which screws us short people) and his draw length may be 26 inches. I think I will look and see.

Or he may not be able to afford a new cam if that is what it takes. If it is a module that could be changed that would be pretty cheap, but I think it's more extreme than that.

Paul
Old 12-27-2005, 09:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

The problem is when you start twisting the cables,you then start increasing the draw length.You also will be increasing the poundage,so doing what Arthur stated might be best.Split the difference but there is really no good answer.IMO,all you are going to accomplish by trying to keep the cam rotation close to right is increasing the poundage because of limb load and a draw length that is a lLITTLE shorter.

You may be best just short stringing it and living with the cam out of rotation for now,atleast untill he can get the right cam or bow for him.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Upon further brain storming.You may be able to short string and then shorten the cables without increasing draw length because the draw length doesn't increase untill you over rotate the cam back from twisting the cables.[]But this should increase poundage,considerably I would imagine with that much shortening of the cables.

As to how much,I would do like Paul stated and twist strings and cables untill you are close to what you are looking for.

I believe in the end you will have to compromise between poundage,draw length and cam rollover.

Naturally it would be best if a different cam or bow were an option.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:28 PM

tfox, he went the short string route from a shop. but that's great info, exactly what i was looking for. i'm going to file that because i'll need to know it one day for sure. thanks.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Gibblet,if it would be possible.I have a Versa cam from a Hoyt Protec that was a 39 1/2" a-a bow with a draw length adjustment for that bow from 26"-28" that might be able to be put on the bow and get the draw length desired. If you hink it might work I would be willing to send it to you to try.The cam also has adjustabledraw stop holes,so it has quite alot of adjustment.

I got to thinking about the poundage issue and because you are trying to get the draw shorter,the poundage would go up with shorter cables but should come back down because of the shorter draw,basically offsetting each other.BUT you would still put alot of preload on the limbs but shouldn't be that big of an issue with a 26-27" bow.

Let me know if you want the cam and idler, If not,let us know how itturns out anyway.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:48 PM

tfox, he's utmstudent on this board. i don't have access to the bow. i think its a pse nova. he seems to be off and running now.

Quick Reply: arthur, bg, paul, and other smart folks, a ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.