Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Cobra Sure-Loc Sidewinder >

Cobra Sure-Loc Sidewinder

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Cobra Sure-Loc Sidewinder

Old 12-12-2005, 06:52 AM

Default Cobra Sure-Loc Sidewinder

I am thinking about getting this sight and use in the hunter class of the ibo this season. It has everything Iam looking for. My question is can the 5th pin be removed from the sight? I never used any productfrom this company and currently shoot a copper john which does not have the 2ft of fiber optics.I assume the pin can be removed I just want to make sure. Does any one use this sight? Looking for feedback as well.
Thanks
Mike
Old 12-12-2005, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Cobra Sure-Loc Sidewinder

Mike,
If you plan to use that sight in competition you will probably want to tape over the fiber spool entirely......it's too bright, especially if you are aiming back into the sun at any angle. If you are shooting tighter pin gaps it will be like looking through a bright stoplight on certain shots. My buddy Frank tried to use that exact sight and hated it, the pins halo'd so bad he couldn't see anything. He wound up having to completely cover the fiber spool which pretty much wasted that "Benefit" of that particular model.

For a competition sightI want fairly dim ,but still visible, fine aiming points most of the time so you can see the most detail possible on the target, and then the ability to light thepins up when needed in low light/indoors is secondary.(Sight light)
You really want to be able to see target contours shadows and specific aiming points rather than a super bright pin that "might" be over the X ring.

You might beOK for a majority of targets in anyround and then find yourself staring into shadows at 30 yds to find a turkey or bear with the bright sun in your face.[:-]
Whatever you decide on, just make sure that you can see bewteen the pins in any lighting conditions or you will find yourself with a couple shots everyday that are going to be very tough to use gaps.

To illustrate what I look for in a sight picture......this is my set-up for 2006 MBR competition.
http://www.sureloc.com/acc/pin.html
I am using the .019 Razor pin version. Very little exposed fibers, very fine aiming points and the smallest pin blocks possible. It's all about target aquisition and precision. Remember you're not trying to just "kill" the target, you're trying to hit a small scoring circle that on Turkeys can get down to the size of a nickle or so.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:26 AM

Thanks matt, never thought of all the fiber optics blinding me on a shot. After poking around on the site I think I will look at the leathal weapon, seems to have much of what you mentioned.
thanks again
Mike
Old 12-12-2005, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mike,
The Lethal Weapon will have everything you need EXCEPT you can't get the pin gaps tight enough!
The way the pin blocks are designed the only way that you can get tight gaps is between the top and 2nd pin, or the bottom and 4th......you can get tight gaps with 3 pins but not with more than 4.
The top and bottom pins are angled to provide tight gaps but the 2nd,3rd and 4th are straight and you can't get them close enough together because of their mounting blocks.
If you shoot only 3 pins,(Top angled ,Bottom angled and 1 middle)no problem, if you shoot 4 you will have one gap that will not match.
For my Sure Loc razor pin attachment it's not a problem because I can lay the frame back on an angle which makes the pin guard circular and brings the gaps down as tight as I need......the Lethal weapon while a quality sight cannot do this.
I shot against a few guys who had the Lethal Weapon and that was their only real gripe. Pin gaps.

Most top Pin class 3D shooters are using Spot-Hogg "Hogg-it"s , Copper John ProIII's , and the like or pin attachments on moveable sight bars etc.......Another newer sight on the market I am hearing very good things about is the Sword Acu-Site. They have a 3rd Axis Micro that looks great and has a built in lighting system.
I also see some guys with Extreme and Viper sights.

What sort of budget do you have on a new sight? I know they can get pricey.

Old 12-12-2005, 10:06 AM

How about this sight??

Old 12-12-2005, 10:07 AM

Sorry,, I forgot to add that it's the M50[&:]
Old 12-12-2005, 10:11 AM

I have this Tox on my Tribute. It's pretty bright but not nearly as that of my wife's Cobra Sidwinder. This one is the K9-3.

Old 12-12-2005, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA
To illustrate what I look for in a sight picture......this is my set-up for 2006 MBR competition.
http://www.sureloc.com/acc/pin.html
I am using the .019 Razor pin version. Very little exposed fibers, very fine aiming points and the smallest pin blocks possible. It's all about target aquisition and precision. Remember you're not trying to just "kill" the target, you're trying to hit a small scoring circle that on Turkeys can get down to the size of a nickle or so.
Why the change from the Spot Hogg?

Old 12-12-2005, 02:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rick,
Since I'm backing up to 45 yds+,I wanted something with pins that take up even less of the target than my Spot-Hogg did. The Sure Loc Razor pins are amazing for a clear sight picture.
I put it on a Sure Loc Challenger Ultra with the armored 3rd axis mounting block and the precision is awesome.
I still very much like the Spot Hogg sights, I just wanted to see if I could get even more precise in my aiming.
I bought myself 9ft. of extra fiber optic and cut it to lengths so I couldn't care less about bumping one of the exposed fibers on the razor pins and breaking it.
The razors are so thin and when set exactly right thatit's almost like you have floating aiming points, they take up almost nothing on the target. It is just less clutter to look past.

I also wanted to start thinking about scope classes and indoor spots so the Sure Loc is a natural choice for this year.
Nothing against Spot-Hogg that's for sure! Terrific sights and I would recommend them to everyone, (Not giving them up on my hunting bows)
I just felt that the Sure Loc combo is a better fit for myself and what I am looking for in a sight for longer range shooting.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:47 PM

WWAG they are supposed to come out with a K9 3 pin with a removable 3X scope you can mount. I haven't seen it for sale anywhere but it's listed on their website. I think that's what I'm picking up for a good sight for both hunting and little 3d.

Quick Reply: Cobra Sure-Loc Sidewinder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.