Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 FYI- Montec Hardness >

FYI- Montec Hardness

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

FYI- Montec Hardness

Old 11-22-2005, 05:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default FYI- Montec Hardness

A while back there was a thread the referenced the relative hardness of some BH or another. I asked G5, their reply:

Thank you for your submitting your question to G5 Outdoors. Please see
>below for the response.
>
>
>Subject:Rockwell Hardness
>Question:What is the Rockwell hardness of the Montec?
>Response:On a Rc scale it is 39-42 with the average of 41-42.

At first glancethisseems a bit soft.In my experience,5 minutes on the stones after a head haszipped through a couple of ribs is a small price to pay for a head that flies true andis less likely to shedor break blades.

U_R

Old 11-22-2005, 07:13 AM

Default RE: FYI- Montec Hardness

AMEN!!! Three seasons and no going back. At this rate they'll last forever. Maybe if I ever lose them or break them I'll try something new. HAHA. Yeah right! If by some odd occurance it happens my next heads will be from G5. Guaranteed.

[/align]
Old 11-22-2005, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

They are definitely a quality head.

I have put the same head completely through a bear and a bull elk and it hardly looked used.

I have heard the complaints about hardness and sharpness. Properly cared for they will do the job and do it well,over and over and over......
Old 11-22-2005, 03:00 PM
Typical Buck

I have shot the Montecs for a couple of seasons now, and the sharpness is easy to get with a few minutes and a stone. As far as the hardness goes, regardless of what it is, it is certainly not nearly as hard as all of the !@#$%^& rocks we have in the dirt out here in PA. I have yet to have a head make it through a deer and into the groud without meeting a rock. I have more "practice heads" with bent or blunted points due to these incidental rock strikes. I am certainly not nocking them.....heck, any head will meet it's demise when it hits a rock head on, but come on.......once in awhile it would be nice to hit a soft patch of ground instead of a buried boulder.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:30 PM

Hey, 98redline, it wouldn't be a problem if they didn't penetrate so well. Ha ha.

[/align]
Old 11-22-2005, 09:26 PM

As a rookie 2 years ago in Wisconsin they sold me on mechanical broadheads because "they fly like a field point". Now I live in Oregon where Mechanical is illegal. The local guy sold me a pack of Montec G5 100 and I cannot tell a bit of difference in their accuracy vs my field points and the N.A.P. Spitfires. They leave no doubt about will they perform and I don't care what kind of rocks you hit the G5 has a better chance of being reusable than any moving part or assembled component head. O.K. I am rookie but thats my opinion.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:19 PM

I do love the look of those heads,but the idea of haveing to re-sharpen them after a practice or a hunt,,I don't think I could do it.I always want blades as sharp as NAP blades,,not going to happen if I'm the one behind the stone.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:09 AM

IMO, no head should be shot straight out of the pack. I sharpen every head before it makes it to my quiver. I sharpen everyone after I shot anything with it.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:02 PM

Don't worry, they are really easy to sharpen. Even a chimp could do it! The cutting edges are set so two contact the stone at a time, automatically setting the honing angle. Simple. Push forward, turn, push forward, turn......etc., etc., etc.

[/align]
[blockquote]
ORIGINAL: Droptines

I do love the look of those heads,but the idea of haveing to re-sharpen them after a practice or a hunt,,I don't think I could do it.I always want blades as sharp as NAP blades,,not going to happen if I'm the one behind the stone.
[/blockquote]
Old 11-25-2005, 07:22 PM

[:-]ewolf,,you must not know the legendary blades from NAP ??.Diamondized blades,, NO WAY your going to get them any sharper !!!

Quick Reply: FYI- Montec Hardness

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.