Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Shaky pin syndrome >

Shaky pin syndrome

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Shaky pin syndrome

Old 10-09-2002, 05:26 PM

Default Shaky pin syndrome

This summer I went from an index trigger release to a Carter 3 thumb release because I have heard using a back tension is the way to go. My problem is as I am applying back tension my pin gets shaker as I apply tension until it finally goes off. I tried going from 60lbs to 50lbs that doesn't seem to help. My true draw length is 27" which keeps my bow arm fully extended and it feels comfortable.

Does anyone out there have a clue what I might be doing wrong or am I just getting old and worn out....

Thanks
Old 10-09-2002, 07:45 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-10-2002, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shaky pin syndrome

Depends what you mean by shakier. If your pin just floats, that is not a problem, even the pros float. If you get shaky, you are using different muscles while holding, and they sometimes take awhile to develope.

Old 10-10-2002, 10:49 AM

Try shooting with your eyes closed up close to a target butt. Then when using back tension, feel your muscles working, shot after shot. After that. In my abrupt way of putting things: "stop thinking about using back tension. stop thinking about holding still. stop thinking about which muscles to use. stop thinking about where the arrow will go. THINK ABOUT AIMING AND AIMING ONLY! The bow may or maynot go off. Be patient, it will go off. Just trust it. But you can't be thinking about anything else but aiming. (my two cents)
Old 10-10-2002, 12:50 PM

Gear,

I shoot backtension and sometimes get a bit shakey if my bow is not adjusted properly. I just can't seem to get the pin to settle down. Try putting a quarter or a half turn into your top limb bolt and see what happens. In my case shooting my target bow I have to put a little more into the top bolt to get the pin to settle down steady for me.

Aim Hard!
Old 10-10-2002, 01:06 PM

It is normal to shake a little while applying back tension it will just take some time to get use to it.
Old 10-10-2002, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

As most said, it takes some time. Also you might try shortening the draw just a but. You'll have to experiment but sometimes all it takes is 1/8" difference to make things a little steadier. You also have to devote 100% of your mind to aiming and forget about the release. You may also have to adjust the release so it goes off a little sooner. It gets to be a matter of timing after a while. When things are right it'll just go off leaving you wondering where the arrow went. Well, where was the sight when it went. You'll be able to look for your arrow at that spot. Take it easy and relax. Give it time. Going from a trigger to BT is a big move.

Old 10-10-2002, 03:53 PM

Thanks for all of you who replyed. I'm going to shorten my draw length a little at a time to see if that helps and try adjusting the tiller for better hand placement. It also sounds like I need to practice alot harder with the release and give it time. I'm getting ready to break the 50 barrier maybe It is time for me to get the old geritol bottle out for some help. Again thank for replying to my shaking pin syndrome. Gearhead
Old 10-11-2002, 08:26 AM

What I did when I first started to shoot back tension was I made something so that I could practice with the release without needing the bow. I wanted to keep it simple so I picked up an old darton grip and an old string. I then looped the string around the grip(like a chinese rope) and attached the end to my release. This setup lets you practice with the release without worring about anything else.
Old 10-11-2002, 03:08 PM

Hello its me again. If I put twisted in my bow string to shorten my draw length how many twists would I need to shorten it to say quarter inch and how many twist can I safely put in my string with out causing problems, why I am asking is I just got into doing my own bow repairs so asking question like this gives me a starting point. I don't want to go over board till I get the hang of it. Thanks again for all you guys help

Quick Reply: Shaky pin syndrome

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.