Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Which to buy?

Old 11-17-2005, 10:41 PM

Default Which to buy?

I posted a while back and asked what bow to buy for my first setup, and several people said to go to a pro shop and talk to the people there and look around. I have been to two different places now, shot several models, and i think i have found one that fits me and my price range.

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/vertical-item.jsp?id=0032849416780a&navCount=2&podI d=0032849&parentId=cat600266&navAction=jum p&cmCat=MainCatcat21424&catalogCode=XF&amp ;rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat600266&a mp;hasJS=true

I shot that and liked it pretty well and i think its a pretty good deal.

Another that i looked at is the next step up, here is the link.. http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/vertical-item.jsp?id=0032849416780a&navCount=2&podI d=0032849&parentId=cat600266&navAction=jum p&cmCat=MainCatcat21424&catalogCode=XF&amp ;rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat600266&a mp;hasJS=trueIs there an advantage for spending the extra bucks on the higher priced bow, i'm sure its better, but are the differences something that i am going to be kicking myself for not getting in the future? If i don't really need the more expensive bow, then i will save the 100 plus bucks for arrows, and a release, and all the other countless stuff i'm gonna need.

Thanks for the advice in advance.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which to buy?

I don't think it's all that important to spend a ton of money one the bow, but I put together and sell a lot of PSE kits, mainly because of price. I've never been too happy with their equipment. I would pay special attention to the accessories they put on them (sight, rest and other stuff). They are usually low end stuff made of platic that you'll end up replacing pretty soon.

Another kit bow that I do like is the Parker Buck Hunter. Maybe not as fast as the PSE but just better quality IMO. And about $40 cheaper.

I would also advise that if this is your first bow then you should go to a pro-shop and get fitted properly for drawlength and weight. Getting a bow for optimum drawlength is the most critical consideration of a compound bow. To figure your drawlength just measure your wingspan while standing with your back against a wall and divide the measurement by 2.5.
As for weight, 60# is enough to kill anything walking in north america so don't overbow yourself. Get a bow that you can hold out and draw back to your anchor with ease. This way you can learn to shoot the bow without having to struggle with it.

One more thing I would caution you on as I have seen this aplenty is, if you do choose the PSE and it has a single cam, pay very paticular attention to cam-lean. The string should come off the bottom cam in a straight line or nearly so. I've seen a lot of these bows that are absolutely terrible and only get worse as time goes by.