Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Slightly disappointed Speed Performance >

Slightly disappointed Speed Performance

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Slightly disappointed Speed Performance

Old 11-06-2005, 01:17 PM
bigcountry

Default Slightly disappointed Speed Performance

Just got a bowtech liberty. 29.5" draw, 67lbs, Muzzyzero effect, peep,kisser, string loop,shooting blackmax-4 arrows, 100gr tip, and only kicking out 240fps. I kinda expected more.

My old cheap PSE Mohave shoots them faster at 245fps with 67lb draw.

It is a pretty dense arrow with 10.4gr/inch, but still thought it would have outshot my old cheaper PSE speed wise.

Also shot some Beman hawks 400 (real light) and got 255fps. I get 262fps from my PSE.

Old 11-06-2005, 07:05 PM

Default RE: Slightly disappointed Speed Performance

That doesn't sound right ??? Has the chronograph been calibrated ? My Allegiance shoots 296 fps...
Old 11-06-2005, 07:30 PM

Actually that sound about right for a bow that IBO's at 295-303. The Black Max arrow is very heavy and you have a lot of crap on the string. The Beman hawks aren't that light as a 29" arrow fully constructed are still a little over 420 grains. You are putting out some hardcore KE though so you can't complain about that.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:22 PM
bigcountry

You right. Shouldn't be complaining. Its just been so long since I bought a new bow. And kinda figured I would be kicking my cheap PSE in the butt when it came to shear speed. But, But, its a night and day difference in shooting the two bows. My PSE is setup pretty well, but after shooting these straightlimb bows, it was hard going back to my PSE. I have to admit, 80% letoff, solid backstop, and no, I mean no shock definatly has advantages.

Allegience are setup a tad different however. I can see how yours is flying so fast.

I bare shaft tuned it today and am hitting right on with that. Next step got to broadhead tune. Should be interesting. Well frustating at least.

Old 11-06-2005, 10:42 PM

Yea the liberty is a sweet shooter but never was a speed demon. I cant wiat to get my hands on a tribute.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

bigcountry,
I have the same bow maxed out at 61lbs 30" draw shooting a 28-1/2" 384gr goldtip 5575 @ 266fps. The only thing i have on the string areleeches and a d-loop. I've killed two deer with it so far this year and absolutely love this bow and it's without a doubt a pure shooting machine. It's the smoothest, quietest, shockfreeand most enjoyable bow i have ever shot or owned. It's also as accurate as i can be with it.
The Libertyisn'tadvertised as a speed bow and it surely isn't one by any means but yours should do a little better than what you're getting.How heavy is your arrow and how long? You could go lighter and gain some speed andeither losethe peep or the kisser and get a little more. Also you may want to check the chrony or shoot it through a different one. If you make no changes at all then 240fps isn't bad and is plenty fast for hunting and i'll lose speed anyday for such a sweet shooting machine as the Liberty. God Bless! Mike
Old 11-07-2005, 01:52 PM
bigcountry

Mykey, I was shooting hawks which I consider light and had a 390gr arrow. I was told that was too light. so I moved up to a 10.6gr/inch arrow. So yea, its a little slower because of that. I bet my arrow is now 440gr.

Old 11-07-2005, 05:03 PM

bigcountry,I put a zero effect on my bow as well, with a 28.5 '' draw I use shafts at 27'' and it straitened out my arrow flight quit a bit.with the overdraw allready there just wondering if this is something you 'd concidered?
Old 11-07-2005, 06:19 PM
bigcountry

Well, it depends on how my broadhead tuning goes. But I am already on the stiff spine side, so shortening would make it stiffer. Well see.

Old 11-08-2005, 10:04 AM

Bigcountry
Your IBO speed is 295 with 30"draw and 350grain arrow.IF your arrow is 29"s long your arrow weight is around 457grains. Thans 157grains above IBO, that alone would put your speed down to 220fps, not to mention all the stuff you have on ur string. So at 240fps your getting 58lbs of KE.If you went with say a Maxima 350 arrow at 29' length , your looking at about 387grain arrow weight, you can expect speeds around 270-278 and 65lbs of KE. So who ever told you that you needed an arrow that was that heavy doesnt understand that when you increase arrow weight, you dont neccesarily gain KE, because you loose so much speed. You just have to find a happy medium. Hope this helps..

Quick Reply: Slightly disappointed Speed Performance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.