Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Cams out of sync by 3/4 inch, what impact does this have on shot? >

Cams out of sync by 3/4 inch, what impact does this have on shot?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Cams out of sync by 3/4 inch, what impact does this have on shot?

Old 11-04-2005, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Cams out of sync by 3/4 inch, what impact does this have on shot?

My wife took my bow (Hoyt Havoc, two cam) to the shop (MacroTech) to have the string twisted, since my peep was turned. While there, Len noticed that the cams are out of sync by about 3/4 inch. He says that is BAD. After further inspection, apparently the screws for draw length on each cam are set at different lengths (from what I translated from my wife). I know I adjusted them, but that's a brain fart if I put a screw in a wrong hole.

My question is: What impact does an out of sync bow have on shots? Is it a big difference in consistent accuracy or a small one? I was doing ONLY OK on the target from 25 yards in,and wonder what improvement I can expect when he puts the screw in the right hole.

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2005, 02:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Cams out of sync by 3/4 inch, what impact does this have on shot?

anybody?
Old 11-04-2005, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

The bow will draw, hold, and shoot smoother and faster. Nock travel should also improve.

I also have a havoc as a back up, except its a 1 cam. Its a sweet shooter.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take a shot through paper at about 8 ft from your bow and the tear will likely show you how far out of whack it is. You should get bullet holes when performing this test. If you are not comfortable tuning the bow then have the shop do it. A poor tune can affect accuracy, penetration and speed. You should also download the eastons tuning guide off thier website. Or you could just buy a new bow.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:45 PM

Shot consistancy will improve dramatically especially if you tend to come off the wall while shooting. Adjust the cam properly then creep tune the bow as instructed on the Spotthog newsletter (website) and I will guarantee you will be incredibly surprised by the new found accuracy and consistancy you gain.
Good luck
BD
Old 11-06-2005, 03:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well,

Got my bow back this afternoon. Len noticed some serious problems in my form due to locking out my bow arm since I've been used to long draw lengths. I practiced with broadheads when I got home and at 24 yards, ended up being able to hit a baseball sized target most every time, and was less thantwo inches of the center of the dot most of the time. That's good enough for me for right now, but I will definately look at the advice at that spotthog website if I can find it.

The biggest thing I noticed with an inch shorter draw was being able to hold it steadier for longer and the smoothness of release relative to the way it was before.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:50 PM

There is a sad partabout this whole episode. What you learned today is nearly impossible to get from any computer, web page or non-personal source. 'Seeing', 'identifying' and'initiating"physical" solutions' tothe problem (s)first-hand, in a 360 degree panorama, gives a perspective that those sources can't achieve.

Sorry Doug, I didn't mean to 'muscle' you too much.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Listen to Len Doug .
Old 11-07-2005, 05:11 AM

Len brings up a good point. Online archery forums are great, but they can only help to a degree. Most critical decisions are best made in a good bow shop with the help of a competant archer. If there's an equipment problem or a shooter's form error, it should be addressed in living color.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Doug, some good points made here about on-line advice. One is that you never know the experience level of the guy on the other end.

I'll give you a hint. Learn some stuff and terminology on-line, but if you want expert advice you have found it in Len in Maryland. He's a real Pro and about as good as anybody I've ever run into. Maybe as good as Larry Wise---in different ways.

I see Len said that cams being out of sync by 3/4" is BAD. Bad isn't the word. Depending on how aggressive the cams are even 1/8" is terrible. I've had a bow once that 1/32" made a difference in POI of 8" at 20 yards. I didn't keep it long.

Quick Reply: Cams out of sync by 3/4 inch, what impact does this have on shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.