Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

F.O.C.

Old 10-27-2005, 04:13 PM

Default F.O.C.

Is it important? I want to change arrows and BH weights. I want to dial in 70 yards with some new Gold Tip Pros 5575 (Antelope). I'm currently shooting 125gr and I know w/o looking or measuring that my FOC is too far forward. If I go with a 90gr head my FOC will be in tolerance. Am I being to anal with respect to what I want to accomplish?
Stats:
29" arrow
70# draw

Old 10-27-2005, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: F.O.C.

I personally think its over rated. as long as its between 7 - 15%, I dont worry about it. As long as your sight has enough travel to accomidate a 70 yard pin, It will be fine.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:06 PM
Typical Buck

No your not.Get in tolerance.7-15% is the accepted range.with 9-10% being the goal.It does matter,more on slower bows,say less than 270fps.I have seen arrows start dropping hard at 25yds with a high foc,but when you drop the tip say from 125 to 100,and get in the target range the same arrow may not start dropping hard until 30-35yds.Go with the 90gr head.You have plenty of KE,so don't worry about it.I havent seen a bow yet that shoots flat out to 70yds.[8D]

Here check this out.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/arrowhelp/arrow-selection-2.htm
Old 10-27-2005, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try logging onto www.bowjackson.com and use the interactive charts. Plug in your info and see what you get. FOC can be pretty important, especially shooting longer distances as you may be doing. With too little FOC arrows have a tendency to wander around in flight. This can be compounded with larger fletching, too. You need some weight up front to pull the arrow along, but you might want to look at smaller vanes or feathers to go with the lighter head. Anything around 10% FOC should work just fine.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:06 PM

I appreciate the inputs and links.
Thanks
Old 10-28-2005, 04:38 AM

I personally think F.O.C. in underrated. If your FOC is low, then you better have everything else perfect. If you want a little forgiveness in your setup, then get the number high. It will not only help with arrow flight, it will give you better flight in wind and where you may hit grass or small twigs. This is especially important when shooting 60-70 yards.

At that distance you're going to use a rangefinder, so speed is not important. Arrow flight is everything, and with broadheads, high FOC is like an insurance policy, just in case something isn't perfect.

Keep in mind, if you raise tip weight your arrow may quickly become underspined. These decisions are best made before you purchase your arrows.

Good luck!
Old 10-28-2005, 07:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

What Straightarrow said.

IMO, when you're talking FOC values below 9%, you better be talking target arrows. Hunting arrows should be at least 9%, and the more exposed blade surface area on your broadheads, the higher it should be.

I know, there are some guys out there that get away with using ultra light broadheads, but there are some guys out there running around with rings in their noses and eyebrowsandbolts in their tongues too. I don't have to do something stupid just 'cuz they do.

I think one reason people have so many problems with broadhead accuracy and arrow flight is they go too light on FOC, trying to bump up their arrow speed or because they have the mistaken idea that heavier tips will cause their arrows to drop faster. With hunting arrows,losing stabilityandforgivenessfor a few extra fps or hoping for a little flatter longrange trajectory is never a good tradeoff, in my book. Like Straightarrow said, when you usea rangefinder, trajectory and speed practically becomenon-issues.

Old 10-28-2005, 08:23 AM

I like a 125 grain head on most of my carbon arrows. I think they shoot better & group better. They also work very well! The 125 gives a heavier FOC & I personally like it. I agree with Arthur Pto many guys are simply trying to shoot a light head to get sped & they hurt their accuracy in my opinion.

Old 10-28-2005, 11:13 AM

I usually say if you are in the normal range (10-15%) you are good to go. That is for close up type stuff though. At the distances you want to shoot I think you should do some experimenting with FOC and spine to find what works best and is most accurate.

If you have enough energy I would consider going with a good mechanical at those distances. I would still look for the best tune you can get though.

Paul
Old 10-28-2005, 11:19 AM

Forgot to say, I agree that more is better usually.

I shoot light heads, but I shoot short arrows and want a small cutting diameter because of my light set up. I shoot weighted 450 grn arrows though.

Paul