Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Librty heads high and right.... >

Librty heads high and right....

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Librty heads high and right....

Old 10-17-2005, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default Librty heads high and right....

I've been shooting the sonic 100's with7/8" cut, very pleased with groups out to 30 yds.
Bought some Liberty 100's 1 3/16 cut same head as the sonic only bigger.
Anyway shot them for the first time Sat. & I'm consistently 6-8" high & 5-6" inches right at 20 yds. The first one I shot went over the target by an inchtook a chunk out of a rock went straight up in the air & landed 20 yds away[]. There was so little damage to the broadhead I was quite surprised. The following shots did a number on the ole riverbottom buck better penetration and larger chunks than the 7/8(huge!)
Any ideas why they fly so different? shooting Browning Boss 290 gn arrows 390 with the head.R helical fletching
I also have some x weave 250 gn'ers I'll try next. also want to try some arrows with offset, not helical fletchings.move target out to 30 yds see if that helps.
Sorry for the long post. All ideas appreciated.

Old 10-17-2005, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Librty heads high and right....

Bigger broadheads =more blade surface area. More blade surface area = more susceptible to planing. More susceptible to planing = more critical on bow tune.

Move rest left, move nockset up.

If you really want to reduce the effect of planing, you're talking about doing exactly the wrong things. The lighter your arrows get, the easier they are for the broadhead to steer off course. The heavier they are, the more resistant they are to being drawn off their flight path. Helical fletching is best for stabilizing an arrow andalso keeping it flying straight.

So, go to heavier arrows and stick with helical fletch.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:05 PM

Arthur's right. Go with heavier arrows and keep the helical fletching. I shoot Liberties as well. Mine are dead on, but I also increased my arrow length. (I used to shoot an overdraw, but I was having clearance issues, particularly with these heads.)

To add to what Arthur said, more surface area = more susceptible to planing = more critical on shooting form. Be careful of this as well.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never got any ABC broadheads to fly out of my bow, but different bows are made for different broadheads.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

...different bows are made for different broadheads
Too bad bows don't come with a list of broadheads they're made to shoot.[8D]Just jerkin' your chain. I know what you mean.... I think[:-]

IMO, it's more a problem with arrows than with the bow. You put a quality broadhead on a quality arrow, like an ACC, any bow can be tuned to shoot it perfectly. I've not seen an ICS-type carbon yet that can hold it's own against ACC's, or even XX75's for that matter, when it comes to shooting consistently well with a wide variety of broadheads.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the reply's guys. Ididtrysome heavier and longer arrows; 490 gr's.and 2"longerGM's whitetail hunters. Well they surprisingly fly abit better not quite so high, I'm surprised because with the field pts they shot5-6" lower than the lighter arrows..I practiced the kentucky windage method a bit (aiming lowand left to compensate for the high & right POI)Got some good sticks at 20 yds but havn't had time to move the target out farther yet.I think I will put 2 wtails w/ the liberty's in my quiver just in caseI get the 20 yd shot, but I will keep the sonics with meas well for anything longer...at least till I get consistant with the bigger heads.
Thanks to all, NY
Old 10-18-2005, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Finish tuning your bow.
1) shoot a field point tipped arrow into the bulls eyes
2) shoot a broadhead tipped into aiming at the same spot.
3) move the rest away from the broadheads impact. ie - if the arrow is high right, move the rest dow, left. You can also move the nock point, but make it follow the arrow. ie - high arrow = raise nock point
4) repeat step 1 and 2
5) after #4, if the broadheads and field points dont group together, repeat step 3
6) after you get the field points and broadheads grouping together, adjust your sight to bring them both back into the bull.

I would be willing to bet if you got the larger diameter heads grouping with your field points, the smaller ones will also.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:46 AM
Fork Horn

Josh,thanks for that advice,would you try fine tuning ita week into season,& is this something that will takea long whileto get to the bottom of? I know the sonics will fly well nowand I'm kinda afraid I will mess somethin up that may cost me a deer. I guess I could mark the positionthat the rest is at now..move it & shoot a few..
Old 10-19-2005, 06:41 AM
Fork Horn

Almost forgot to ask...with the drop away ,when I move the rest up will I need to adjust the line that is tied into the cable??
Old 10-19-2005, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Once I get the rest and sights installed and roughly shot in for 20 yards, I can generally tune a bow in about 10 minutes.

As for the drop away, it depends on the model. I have my cord set so it starts coming up about the last 4" of the arrow. I can micro adjust the rest up and down by simply turning a screw and it has no effect on the string length requirements.

Quick Reply: Librty heads high and right....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.