Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

???????

Old 10-12-2005, 08:42 PM

Default ???????

Recently I have noticed that when I shoot my bow, the bottom kicks out towards the target. Isn't the bow supposed to drop forward when you shoot. I am guessing that I should think about getting a heavier stabilizer to balance my bow so it drops when I shoot. Am I correct, or is something else wrong. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-13-2005, 09:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ???????

How long has it been since you checked the tilleron your bow?Just in case you don't know, that'sthe measurement from the belly side of the limbs at each end of the riser to a string stretched across the axles. It sounds to me like it's off.

I've posted my way of adjusting tiller a hundred times and my fingers are being real lazy today. Just do a search on tiller and I'm sure you'll find it.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMHO, because the rearward force of the arrow during launch is typically above the grip, theresulting torque has a natural tendency to rotate the bottom limb away from you and the top limb toward you. A heavier or longer stabilizer can indeedhelp compenstate. Is the bow supposed to drop forward? I'm not sure what conventional wisdom is but I prefer as little movement as possible. For target shooting I want to be able to hold the pin in the bull through and after the shot so I realy don't want the tip of my stabilizer rizing or falling through the shot. For hunting, I don't like a heavy or long stabilizer so I'm willing to accept more torque. Also, how you grip the bow can have an effect here. If you place your hand such that you lower the pressure point you can exaggerate the torque.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:20 PM

Most of the single cams I have shot bare have some kick on the bottom limb. My bowtech does it. And that makes sense when you look at the design. Most of the rotational mass is on the bottom limb of the bow. The hybrids and dual cams seem to have a more forward movement to them. The proper stabilizer should probably fix it.

I put a ton of Simms stuff on my bow and it made it pretty dead. I have limb savers, plus the shock things that come with the bowtechs. Then I have the PSE NV system on the limb bolts, and a Simms Enhancer 2000 with a carbon impact stab screwed into that. The PSE NV thingies got rid of the bottom limb kick for me I think.

If you shoot correctly it really shouldn't matter any way. The arrow is in the target before the bow moves in most cases. And I could only feel it if I held on to the bow, which you really shouldn't do.

Paul
Old 10-13-2005, 02:03 PM

Sounds to me like youare torqueing your bow, when u grab your grip anything right of your life line on your hand is "no man land" . Make sure the only part of your hand touching your grip is left of your life line.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:39 PM

i guess that's right dually if you're a lefty. for a righty like me tho, everything left of the lifeline is a no-no.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:40 PM

Yea gibblet, i should have said if your palm is up LOL