Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 What is causing this? >

What is causing this?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What is causing this?

Old 09-29-2005, 01:27 PM

Default What is causing this?

I have a hoyt mtsport and it has been a great and very consistent bow for the last 3 years. Well this year(summer/fall) it has become very picky about how you shoot it, it seems the vally has disappeared as well. I also noticed id get it drilling perfect shots and the next day would go out and would be hitting several inches to the right even though my form hasn't changed. when i looked at my site compared to the arrow and string it seems my sight has moved,But it hasn't been touched and i have marked the site to see if its moving for any reason and its not. What could be causing this problem? Could my cam be warped or something along that line? Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated as our season starts in 15 days and i need to get this solved or get a new bow. Thanks
Old 09-29-2005, 01:34 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: What is causing this?

Bama,

When was the last time you changed your string or cable(s)? Sounds likethey could be stretched. This would explain the missing valley. If you haven't changed it for some time it might need a new set.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:46 AM

Bows need to be completely tuned at least once each year, and that's if you have a good string and cable that doesn't creep. If you have a stock string, then tuning ususally needs to be much more frequent.

The easy way to check this, is the take measurements once your bow is tuned perfectly. Write down the exact brace height, ATA, distance of nocking point from an axel, draw weight, and the tiller. Every now and then, take the measurements and make sure they are precisely the same as before. If not exactly the same, then you need to re-tune. Periodically the string and cable need to be twisted or replaced to get back to these measurements.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

What the other guys said. It's almost got to be string creep, and now the bow doesn't fit you the same anymore, thus throwing off your form. Most likely the string has gotten longer, the drawlength along with it, and the weight goes up on the bow. The tune goes south.

I've kept up with this for quite a while and read that although Hoyt makes some fine bows their strings are inferior. Suggest you get a good set of aftermarket ones and things will not change near as often---like maybe never. Winner's Choice, Vapor Trail, Prostrings and others are preferred by many knowledgable shooters.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with BigJ12. Do not shoot your bow until you have a new string and cable installed. My bow has the same signs as yours and the bottom control cable let go. Get her checked out.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Definitley gotta take it to the shop and get strings replaced. They have to be creeping. Check those cables out too. If i were you I'd get all of it replaced. Make sure they check for lean as well.