Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Under the Chin Anchor?? >

Under the Chin Anchor??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Under the Chin Anchor??

Old 09-19-2005, 04:39 AM

Default Under the Chin Anchor??

Has anyone used this?? I just tried it out and it seems real comfy!!
Old 09-19-2005, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Under the Chin Anchor??

Mostly FITA/Olympic target shooters use the under the chin anchor. On most of the compounds out there these days, the bows are too short to give you enough sight window to use that anchor.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:28 AM

I'm not shooting a compound. I have a B.P Recurve ;40#@28"..... I am going to try a few more shots at my"starting point" of 10 paces later to see how I do. Any other info you can give me on this type of anchor??
Old 09-19-2005, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh... recurve... Sorry. I knew that yesterday, but I've slept since then.[8D]

About the anchor, it's almost always used by people shooting with sights or for long range, point of aim shooting. That's an aiming technique where you aim at a predetermined spot on the ground to make the arrow hit center of the target, rather than aiming at the target itself.

It's not used much by anyone else, especially instinctive shooters, because it takes the nock end of the arrow so far away from the eye. That dramatically increases the amount of possible aiming error for an instinctive or gap shooter.

It definitely feels better to draw to the low anchor, because it involves your muscles closer to their more natural plane. If you're pulling on a rope, you pull toward your chest and not toward your face, because that's the plane where your muscles are strongest. Higher or lower than that and you lose strength.

Lots of those old English war bows they've unearthed from the wreck of the Mary Rose had huge draw weights, up to 180 pounds. It makes you wonder how they could pull that much draw weight. Well, if you look at the old paintings and woodcuts, you'll see that those archers were not pulling to anchor along their face. Instead, they were drawing toward their chest. That's how they managed those draw weights.

On the other hand, they weren't taking careful aim at a specific target though. They were acting as massed artillery on a tightly packed distant target area. When aiming at a specific target, you need to refine your aiming. Reducing the distance from the arrow to your eye at anchor refines your aim by cutting the amount of aiming error. Howard Hill said that halving the distance from your anchor to your eye also cut the aim error by half.

I imagine you can learn to shoot well with the under the chin anchor, but it'll probably take you twice as long to progress than it would if you anchored beside your mouth.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Howard Hill said that halving the distance from your anchor to your eye also cut the aim error by half.
Could you explain that a little further Art? Would a three finger under then be more accurate then a split finger according to Howard? Maybe I'm reading this wrong. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

In theory, Bob, yes. Anything that gets your arrow closer to your eye will reduce the aiming error. But then you get into the mechanics associated with the 3-under anchor and, if the bow isn't tillered for 3-under, then the tuning changes you have to make will likely offset any accuracy advantage that might have been gained. You can also anchor up on the cheekbone to get the arrow closer to your eye, but if that anchor puckers the skin around the eye and interferes with your vision, then you've gained nothing.