Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Possible STS tip.... >

Possible STS tip....

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Possible STS tip....

Old 09-17-2005, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Possible STS tip....

While shooting my STS equipped PAT I once again noticed the clunkI can hear that sounds like it's coming from the riser. It's not the thump of the string hitting the stopper but rather a slight clunk.

I decided to try and place a nylon washer between the STS block and the riser. After shootingwith the washer in place and removed back to back I am convinced that this fix has greatly reduced the clunk I am hearing. Ijust found a square hard rubber washer I might alsotry out.

Only hang up is the nylon washersI have allow the STS to rotate if side force is applied to it even after tightening it up. I will try using some lock-tite on the bolttommorow after installing a new nylon washer. If the lock tite will prevent the STS from rotating then this trick will make shooting anSTS equipped bow even quieter than it already is.

Has anybody tried this yet?
Old 09-18-2005, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Possible STS tip....

Sounds like a good idea, Dave. (No pun intended)

You do have above average hearing, you know. None of those pro-STS guys over on AT can hear a thing when they shoot theirs!

As you posted in another thread, I too can hear the difference between Vanetecs (quieter)and Blazers when shot through the Whisker Biscuit.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:25 AM

Dave, if you use lock tight use the blue color or else you are going to have arough time getting that bolt loose again. Its not the bolt that is turning its the block turning against the washer. With the nylon washer I dont know if you can torque the bolt tight enough to keep the block still. GGBH
Old 09-18-2005, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used blue. I set it up to dry overnight and will try gently to turn it tomorrow.
I wound up using the hard rubber gasket instead of the nylon. I figured it wouldn't be as slippery.

JoePA, funny thing is I'm ~50% deaf in my left ear andI can still hear this stuff! Maybe it's because I'm shooting a quiet bow to begin with??
When I shoot between my 20' long building and a 6' highprivacy fence it really amplifies things.
The 3" vane techs super spines glide right through the WB, I just put in a reqest for some 3" V-max's to see how they do.

Want to talk about extra sensory abilities? I seem to bethe only person who can smell cat whisker string silencers while sitting on stand. They smell like burnt rubber to me. I can detect it with my nose on the extra hot hunts, so I know the 4 legged critters can. But then again I'm probably the only fool sitting 23' up in a pine in 90* temps with 100% humidity waiting on a lil ole deer to walk by.
But hey it's hunting season TIME TO HUNT!

I can also detect an odor coming from the thermocell mosquito repeller. It has a perfume musk odor to it according to my nose.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:29 PM

Rubber does smell,, I work at Goodyear I have an elastic face mask that I can smell the rubber in and it's getting tossed out VERY soon, got busted tonight but it was over 80 degrees. Good thing was that it wasn't by the big 5X5I seen later

Gonna set the wife up for him in the late morning for a crack at him on the evening hunt going to water
Old 09-18-2005, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

So WWAGs, are you saying we would do well to leave our rubbers at home when whe go deer hunting? [8D]

That reminds me, I have a 5-7 year old pair of Lacross rubber bootsI no longer hunt in. I kept getting busted whereI had walked soI smelled them and sure enough, they REAK of rubber. The material they are made of must have broke down through the years because they didn't smell so bad when new and their replacements don't carry an odor either.

I hope your wife scores on the 5x5!