Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Off topic but want objective opinions on this..... >

Off topic but want objective opinions on this.....

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Off topic but want objective opinions on this.....

Old 09-15-2005, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Off topic but want objective opinions on this.....

First of all as long as it doesn't have an engine it should be covered under his auto policy.
I agree, I don't carry a seperate policy for my trailers. As long as the trailer had a up to date registration and inspection, and the vechicle towing it is within its rated capacity, it should be covered.

But,

If you have to end up paying for the trailer (no insurance). I'm assuming everyone is friends. Even if I think I should not pay, I would ask myself if $1,000 is worth the price of a friendship. I'd pay my 1/6 and move on.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

To me it depends on whether or not you want to keep the driver as a friend and a hunting buddy. As a pilot, I am resposible for my crew and my plane at all times. Regardless of the insurance situation that has already been covered in some detail, I would pay my share. If I like the guy and want continue to have him as a friend and a hunting buddy, then that is a small price to pay. If I decide I do not like him & do not care if I see him again, then I would let him know it is his fault, I have no obligation to pay, write a check for $1,000and you will never have to talk to him again.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Personally, I would say the driver of the truck is fully responsible for it. However, depending on how close you all are, I think we would consider splitting it up and paying for it equally.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

Actually, this is my first meeting with this group except for one person that I've known for a couple of years.

If I take the truck/trailer into town during the week and back that trailer into a telephone pole, I would not expect the group to pay for my screwup.

My question is: where is the line of personal responsibility? If I get drunk and wreck that trailer, I wouldn't expect the group to pay for it. If I get a speeding ticket, I wouldn't expect the group to pay for it.

If it is an unavoidable accident, like a deer jumping out in the road- that is a different situation. But when something is avoidable, but due to bad driving judgement damage is incurred, I think there has to be some personal responsibility. Not saying total responsibility, but I think it should be more than just 1/6th since no one else had control of that vehicle.

When the Exxon Valdez crashed, they didn't go after the captain AND crew. When someone is killed in a vehicle accident, they don't charge the passengers of the offending vehicle, just the driver.

When you get behind the wheel of a vehicle, you assume responsibility of that vehicle and occupants. The law makes that very clear.

I don't want to neccessarily leave the driver hanging for the full amount of the trailer, but don't think I should have to shell out an even 1/6th because of his major mistake either. I know if the situation were reversed, I wouldn't want to cost my hunting group all that cash ifI knew it was my fault. I wouldn't take their money.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

The driver made a command decision to go ahead rather than stopping and submitting the matter to committee aproval. Only one set of hands were on the controls, not six. It's his baby, as far as I'm concerned. Tells me something about the fella's character, trying to blame everyone in the truck for his screw-up.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:35 AM
Fork Horn

You can see by all the varied repsonses so far the dilema I'm in now. People have opinions all over the map on this.

Since I'm the new guy in the group and only knew one of the guys before the trip- I'm keeping quiet for now to see what plays out amongst them.

I think it's getting pretty ugly pretty quick though.....
Old 09-15-2005, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Driver pays. Gladly accepts any help the others want to chip in, but he pays.

One other thing to keep in mind about insurance. If the driver owns a home that is insured, have him check his personal liability coverage. I've seen this coverage pay in these types of instances. He may even have it if he rent's and has a tennants policy.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

BlackfrogI feel your pain! It is circumstances like this that are taxing on friendships and hunting trips.

It is easy to point the finger at the driver and accuse him of a boneheaded mistake, perhaps even rightfully so. In the final analysis I do believe the driver to be more culpable than anyone else.

That said, if he is that careless of a driver why does the group let him behind the wheel ( I am assuming because he owns the vehicle)? I am sure that you all split the gas money for the trip, but does the remaining five of the group compensate the driver (owner) for the "wear and tear" on his vehicle that occurs on the hunting trip? Of course that is an intangible, but a real expense nevertheless.

Without a trailer there is no trip for the group, unless of course there are more vehicles to drive in which case there are more expenses to be paid by all. Could an effective argement be made to make the driver pay the entire cost (assuming some type of insurance money doesn't come through) of the damage? Certainly. Is it the "right" thing to do? There is some doubt in my mind......

Obviously there are no easy answers, and I make no judgement on the outcome of your dilemma. I hope some insurance money comes through and everyone can stay friends to hunt another day.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

I don't know about the driver's past driving experience since I didn't really know him beforehand. I assumed the group trusted him to drive since they were familiar with him.

We split gas costs and horse rental costs. Everyone pays for their own food, beverages, hunting gear, camping gear, clothing etc...

I think in years past that they have rotated vehicles that make the trip. I know last year they took my friend's truck.

My biggest concern is that if the driver would've struck a worker in a construction zone due to bad driving and recv'd a $10000 fine plus injury liability for the worker's injury, would we all be equally responsible for that as well?

It's a big ol' pot a simmering crap right now.....
Old 09-15-2005, 11:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

My biggest concern is that if the driver would've struck a worker in a construction zone due to bad driving and recv'd a $10000 fine plus injury liability for the worker's injury, would we all be equally responsible for that as well?
Only if you knew the driver was either drunk, otherwise impaired or unlicensed, but the court would decide that. I hope going to court is not how y'all have to get this sorted out.

Actually, if it was me, I'd have been willing to pay something to help the guy out until he comes up demanding everybody pay an equal share. If he sues, you might consider filing a counter suit on him for endangering your life with his driving, not to mention mental distress and medical expenses due to delayed discovery of whiplash.

Quick Reply: Off topic but want objective opinions on this.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.