Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Stupid Question regarding arrow position. >

Stupid Question regarding arrow position.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Stupid Question regarding arrow position.

Old 09-06-2005, 09:37 PM

Default Stupid Question regarding arrow position.

Or is it?

I was reading an article that said "The index (odd color) feather or vane should be toward the archer."

Why is that?
Old 09-06-2005, 09:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Stupid Question regarding arrow position.

What exactly does that mean "toward the archer"? Never heard that before.

Depends on what reat you are using.

Most drop aways it does not matter one bit

A prong rest like a TM hunter the odd vane goes down through the prongs

On a shoot around rest the odd color goes straight out.

A whisker bisquit the odd color goes up.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:51 PM

I have a prong rest on my bow (which I think I'd like to change) and I put the odd color vane down to pass between the prongs. I never heard of it either. I assume "towards the archer" means pointing to the left on a right-handed bow and to the right on the left-handed bow.

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

A prong rest like a TM hunter the odd vane goes down through the prongs
Old 09-07-2005, 08:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

It probably refers to back when everyone shot fingers off of a flipper style rest. The odd color vane was positioned away from the bow and out towards the archer.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:35 AM
Dominant Buck

NO question is dumb. As for your question, it all depends on your rest. I dont even put an odd color on for my cock feather. But as for possition, it is all in the rest. A shoot around or fliper, the cock feather should be out. With a shoot through, the cock feather needs to be down . And with a drop away, it needs to be in what ever possition gives you the best clearance.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

i
Old 09-07-2005, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I quite using a different color this year also. I use all 3 of the same (yellow) and if anyone of the arrows flies oddly I turn the nock until it's good. THEN I mark the cock fletching with a marker.
Cheaper and easier than refletching. Cheaper to only buy one flavor.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

Hi there, the odd colored feather or vane is correctly called the "cock feather". The purpose of this odd colored feather was to give the archer a quick visual on how the arrow knocked onto the bow string. See traditional archers must shoot with the cock feather out so it will not hit the riser of the bow and make it fly funny. As for todays compound bows, it completely depends on the rest you are shooting. If you are shooting a TM Hunter style rest, put the cock feather down so that it goes through the rest without hitting it and making your arrow fly funny. If you shoot a plunger rest, then it must face away from the riser. If you shoot a WB or a drop away rest, well then it really does not matter which way your feathers or vanes face. Good luck.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:50 PM

What I always thought on this is, its personal preference on any rest style. Correct me if im wrong, but, i shoot a bodoodle pro lite which would normally be a rest where the cock feather is down. However, on a three feather fletching job, all feathers are set at 120 degree, which ends up being 360 around the whole arrow. So no matter whichfeatheryou choose,It doeasnt really matter aslong as you're getting clearence with that particular feather. Just my thinking on the subject though.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Grant, that's what I was going to say. If they are all the same... put it where you want it.

Quick Reply: Stupid Question regarding arrow position.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.