Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Average Shot Distance >

Average Shot Distance

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Average Shot Distance

Old 09-06-2005, 09:13 PM

Default Average Shot Distance

Being a first time bowhunter, I am curious to see what you feel is the "average" distance for a good shot on a whitetail.

I've done most of my practice in the 20-25 yard range shooting 3 to 5inch groups. I have gone out as far as 35yds shooting 5 to 8inch groups. Here is a group, of 4, I shot this evening from 25yards. This group is about 2 to 3 inches. Each group of 2 is about an inch apart.

Old 09-06-2005, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Average Shot Distance

If you are a new hunter...keep it under 20 yards! Practice is great, but shooting in hunting conditions is another story.....many many variables (a moving or possibly moving target, adreniline, wind, brush or leaves, elivation or not, hunting clothes, animal position, distance estimation,and on and on! Practice is great but remember....your first shot is your only group! You get one chance. I know lots of guys who can shoot 3" groups after a bunch of shots or warm-ups, but thats in a controlled atmosphere and there first couple shots are usually pretty inconsistant. If you have 3" or 4"groups in practice .....you maybe have a 8" group hunting. Practice is great but for a first time bowhunter, keep them under 20 for the first couple.

Best of luck!
Old 09-06-2005, 11:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seldom have I had to take a shot over 25 yards. If you do your homework and preseason scouting you can close the distance with the correct stand or blind placement.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:04 AM

Average over 15years is probably 15yds.

And remember, grouping is only good if the group is in the kill zone. A 2 inch group that is 8 inches from the bullseye means nothing, except you can consistently miss[8D]

I always limit myself to 10yds close that my exceptable target range. For instance, I can shoot good at 40yds with a compound, keeping all shots in the kill zone, but I limit shots on game to 30 yds. That helps to minimize the jitters you'll experience on stand.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:21 AM

Like creek I shoot a lot at 40 but max 30 hunting .first sept. on first shot pratice I hold as long as possible diffrent days and yardage.you dont get practice in timber .one chance oneshot your done
Old 09-07-2005, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm always looking for a shot that is less than 30 yards.

If you want to get a better idea of your range pickup a 3D deer target and take it into the woods with your tree stand. Practice shooting at an actual deer sized target from the tree stand.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you are a new hunter...keep it under 20 yards! Practice is great, but shooting in hunting conditions is another story.....
Very well said. I would tend to agree with the others. My average shot distance is probably about 12-15 yards with the closest being 6 and the farthest being 27.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

If your asking for an average I'd say between 10 and 15 yards. However, if you are asking how far I'd shoot, I'd say 20 yards.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:39 AM
Dominant Buck

I vary all my distances between 10 yards to 60 yards. Most of my shooting is at 30 and 20. I live in an area that will give me good shots up to 60+ yards, so I practice out to 60 yards, but as for shot choice, I have taken a hog at 50+ but not much farther. I have taken deer out to 45 yards, but most of my shots are between 10 to 30 so that is what I practice the most.. Practice the distances you will get when you hunt.

Like mentioned; as a new hunter Id stick with noting longer than 30 until you get more practice in. I have been shooting for over 20 years and have worked my way up to the longer shots.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

My average is around 20. My closest being4 yards (on the ground), my farthest being 42 yards. I do practice out to 100 yards and felt completely comfortable taking the 42 yard shot. It is one I've made thousands of times into a 3d target, and the deer was relaxed and the wind was nearly non existant.

Quick Reply: Average Shot Distance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.