Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Do it yourself serving >

Do it yourself serving

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Do it yourself serving

Old 08-28-2005, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default Do it yourself serving

The serving that holds my peep in place is coming apart.I am unable to get to the pro-shop to have them do it. After 15 years of bow hunting I think it is time I learned. Is there a web sitethat shows how to serve accessories onto the bow string? I know there is some sort of special knot but I do not know what it is called or how to tie it.

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2005, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do it yourself serving

I've found this link to be very informative. Enjoy! http://www.applearchery.com/stringserving.htm
Old 08-28-2005, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

The easiest way to serve a peep into the string is to just use a series of overhand knots. Start a couple of inches away from the peep, where the split in the string is easy to push together. Tie one knot on top of the string, the next one underneath, next one on top, then underneath again. Pull each knot tight before doing the next one. Keep alternating like that until you get the serving about 1/2" long, then finish off with a sqare knot and melt the ends of the serving thread.

One serving above and one below the peep. Then slide the two servings toward the peep to clamp it in place. It's best to wax the string before tying so the servings will slide easier.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

You are a wealth of Knowledge Arthur. Well said. I might add that it is often wise to fold a piece of heavy paper or light cardboard over the string when melting the ends of the serving. Just a precaution to keep an errant flame from burning a strand or two of the string. And when melting the serving end you just wet a finger and dab out the flame when it burns down. During my dumber days I didn;t wet my finger----(expletive).
Old 08-29-2005, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I serve my peep a little different from the illustration on the web site link. Before I start up the string toward the peep (or down), I run my serving line up the string and back down to fashion a loop above where I going to stop my wraps. When I wrap up to that point, I cut my serving line, while maintaining tension, leaving a long tag end. I run the tag end through the loop that I made and pull it back down the bowstring on the inside using the loop tag end where I started serving. Then I cut and burn the end. It isn't coming loose. I wish I could illustrate this, I know that it is confusing reading this. Good luck!