Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Hoyt bows

Old 09-26-2002, 05:11 PM

Default Hoyt bows

I have a 2001 Hoyt ultratec target bow that I really like and am going to buy a Hoyt for a hunting bow. I am thinking about getting the protec as I am into forgivness and accuracy more than speed because most bows nowadays are shooting pretty fast. Has anyone shot the ultratec and protec. My local pro shops don't carry the protec so I can't compare. Is there a noticable difference in forgivness or a big loss of speed in the protec. I will use the bow mainly for hunting and some 3-D right before hunting season, but will use my target bow most of the off season. Any opinions about the differences between the 2 would be appreciated. Thanks, Rick
Old 09-26-2002, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hoyt bows

I would opt for the Ultratec. I shoot a Cybertec and love it, but it was very hard to choose between it and the Ultratec. Just personal preference led me to choose the Cybertec.

Here is another thing you may want to consider. If you buy another Ultratec, you wont be switching between two different types of bows between seasons. This way, you can shoot the target bow during the off season, then, switch to the hunting bow late summer and not have to take much time getting reaccustomed to another bow. It will make you more accurate and confident in the long run.

Just my opinion.
Old 09-26-2002, 09:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

rpdbry, I have to agree with the above.

If you shoot the UltraTec for target currently, I think you'll be disappointed in the ProTec as a hunting bow. I'm surprised your not thinking the other way around and shooting the ProTec for target and the UltraTec for hunting. Since you currently own the UltraTec, it's a far superior hunting bow and you already have the feel for it.

I do think tho you'll be pleasantly surprised with the CyberTec and/or HavocTec. If your worried about shooting too fast with these setups, shoot a heavy arrow and you can slow your arrow down dramatically and still shoot very high Kinetic energy and still have a very forgiving setup.

When I think ProTec, I think strictly target unless your a finger shooter then, excellent hunting bow.

<font color=blue>Good Luck and Good Shooting</font id=blue>

<font color=red>Rob</font id=red>
Old 09-26-2002, 10:35 PM

Rob, I have been wishing that I did have the protec target bow and could just get a camo ultratec hunting bow. I've been seeing a few pretty nice protec target bows on e-bay lately and the thought crossed my mind to turn my target bow into a hunting bow. It would be hard to make such a pretty bow ugly for hunting though. You guys have got me leaning toward another ultratec. Any guesses on how many fps I might expect to lose if I did go to a protec everything else being equal? Thanks alot, Rick
Old 09-27-2002, 07:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

rpdbry,

I tend to agree with the others. If given a choice between the two, for hunting, I would probably go with the Ultratec as well. But, I cannot think of any possible reason why the Protec wouldn't be a good choice as well. The axle to axle length is very similar..it is just the brace height/riser geometry that is a little different. Speed is comparable too.

Old 09-27-2002, 04:21 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-27-2002, 09:39 PM

Do not dismiss the Protec just becuase it does,nt break the sound barrier.I have a 2002 Potec LX Pro limbs and accuwheels and I am using it for hunting I shoot fingers with fixed broadheads and I'm getting 3inch. groups at 40 yds. Yeah its no barn burner but who cares people think that a measly 8fps faster will better you chance at deer thats baloney you need forgiveness even more for hunting than target shooting. Think about it target shooting your up right on the ground shooting at stationary targets. When hunting If a big buck comes in your nerves will be going wild, not to mention if you have to take a shot at a weird angle, or you could be fatigued, or cold, Alot of things can happen. Unless you have unbreakable form (which not many of us do) I would consider the protec I know guys who dumped there Mathews for the protec. After all speed is'nt going to get your arrow to the mark acuracy will.
Old 09-28-2002, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

My hunting bow is the Hoyt Ultratec 39&quot; ata xt2000 limbs with command cams. I dont know what setup your target bow is , but if your shooting great with it , take it in the woods. You can buy camo sleeves for the limbs and camo tape for everything else if you dont want to paint it.

&quot;Nocked,cocked & ready to rock&quot;