Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Help!  Broadheads are way off! >

Help! Broadheads are way off!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Help! Broadheads are way off!

Old 08-15-2005, 06:22 PM

Default Help! Broadheads are way off!

OK, I knew I was going to have to deal with this problem sooner or later, but I never did in the past, so Im not sure what to do. I got a new switchback a while back, and have been shooting it every day, hitting perfectly with the field points. Finally today I decided to try the broadheads, and they are flying terrible! At 20 yards they can be up to 5-6" off! most commonly low and to the right. The fletching doesn't follow a straight path at all, I can't tell if it is tail whip, it looks like the whole arrow takes a spiraled path.

Do I have to make an adjustment to my arrow rest? Or is there more to it?

I am shooting CX hunter 300's and muzzy 100gr. 3 blade broadheads. I also shoot a NAP drop away rest. (the one with the solid arm that glides on the cables.)

ANy info would be great! THanks!
Old 08-15-2005, 06:40 PM

Default RE: Help! Broadheads are way off!

It could be the broadheads. Muzzy neverwell with me.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you need to paper tune to make sure you getting good flight to start with. If you're paper tuned well, then you need to make sure your arrows are straight and that your inserts are in straight. If your inserts are crooked, then this will allow the broadheads to "steer" you arrows .
If your arrows group well with the broadheads, then you could just resight your bow for them, but I'm guessing something is out of alignment.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like your bow isnt tuned 2 me
Old 08-15-2005, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

Hi there, Yep you need to tune that bow. Try this on for size. Shoot your broad head first, then your field point. Note where each hit. Now move your arrow rest in the direction of the field point. So, if your field point is to the right, then move your rest to the right. Then shoot again. They should eventually hit right on. If you are shooting high or low, move your rest accordingly. Let me know if it works for you they way it does for me. I have tuned a lot of bows and this is the easiest way I have ever found. After all that, shoot through the paper if you think you need too, but I bet you will find that it is almost perfect. Let me know if it works or not.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.broadheadtests.com/TUNING.html
This should help you out.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:06 AM

One thing you could try is a different head like the Magnus Stinger or Slick Trick which I found both to fly right with my field points but your main problem sounds like a tuning problem. I used to use the muzzy 3 blade heads and you can get them to fly pretty good when well tuned. Follow the tuning instructions as 5 shot told you above and you should good to go....Good Luck...
Old 08-16-2005, 06:47 AM

Thanks guys, I will pay with it tonight once and see what happens.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:17 AM

www.eastonarchery.com click on downloads and select tuning guide. it explains why.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:10 AM

I paper-tuned my bow last night, and I bought a jig for spin-checking arrows. I should be in good shape now, but I haven't shot any broadheads yet, so we will find out..
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Help! Broadheads are way off!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.