Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Cable clearance

Old 08-12-2005, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default Cable clearance

I shoot a PSE Dakota and have a difficult time getting my feathers to clear the cables. I currently shoot a 4" feather. The cable guard is the factory supplied. Do after market guards offer more clearance? Or should I shoot shorter feathers.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Cable clearance

How do you have the cable guard adjusted?
Old 08-12-2005, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

It is adjusted out to the max. 90 degrees away from the arrow.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:40 PM
Site Bouncer

Are your cables on the out side of the guide or inside? if they are on the inside (like my Browning was) go out and get aslide that goes on the outside of the guide. This will give you plenty of room and you will probably need to adjust your guide because there will be too much clearance. I had the same problem on my brownings. All of them got this upgradeand I never had problems with fletchings hitting my cables again.

Good Luck
Old 08-12-2005, 01:42 PM

I had the same thing with my PSE Triton. I just took it to the pro shop i bought it from and thy adjusted the cableguard real quick.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:44 PM
Site Bouncer

I just looked up a picture of your bow and I think the cable guide holds the cables on the inboard side of the rod. Just get a different slide (for the outboard side) and your problems should be solved.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:53 PM
Fork Horn

Can I just flip the slide around to the outboard side or is there a special slide for this?
Old 08-13-2005, 09:31 PM
Site Bouncer

You will need a different slide, but they are not too expensive (most under $15,00) go with a nice teflon one while your at it. Kill two birds with one stone. Get more clearance and a better slide.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:03 AM

I was just wondering as to why you cannot just flip the slide to the other side of the guard? is this a bad thing to do?
Old 08-15-2005, 10:37 AM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: dab029

I was just wondering as to why you cannot just flip the slide to the other side of the guard? is this a bad thing to do?
Because most slides are one directional. In other words, the cables slide on the plastic/teflon. On the ones that hold the strings on the inside of the guide rod if you were to just simply "flip over" the slide as you suggested you will see that the cables would be against the actual guide bar and not "riding" on the slide. The slide would just sitting there really not doing much.

The slides that are made to go on the outside of the guide rod have material between the rod and the cables for the cables to "slide" on.

Take a close look at some pictures of both and you will see what I'm talking about. Or better yet flip your inboard slide over and you will see first hand it won't work.

I think there are some companies that make aftermarket slides that you can use on either the inside or outside, but I think all factory slides are either inside or outside only slides.

Quick Reply: Cable clearance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.