Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Spiraling arrows? >

Spiraling arrows?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Spiraling arrows?

Old 08-11-2005, 08:57 PM

Default Spiraling arrows?

And not the good kind.

Well, I recently fletched a half dozen arrows with Blazers to see if there was any noticable difference betwen them and my Duravanes.

They seemed a bit more accurate, not a lot, just a little.

However, even at 20 yards there is a noticable circular motion that my arrows are making on the way to the target. Not quite fishtailing, not quite porpousing.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? I know it can't be normal, it just doesn't seem right. How do I go about fixing this problem? Move the rest? Nock point? Both?

Help!!
Old 08-11-2005, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Spiraling arrows?

I've noticed that too. But I just figured it was the spin of the arrow. [&:]
Old 08-11-2005, 09:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sometimes your eye can be confused by the fletching on the arrow as it spins, making it look like the tail end is spiralling downrange.

If the tail end is actually spiralling, then you've got fishtailing and porpoising going on at the same time. Might be you had small tuning misadjustments that the 4" vanes were hiding, but the short Blazers can't compensate for. (?)

Another thing...You sure you're not getting rest contact?
Old 08-11-2005, 09:29 PM

I'm pretty sure I'm not getting any contact with the rest. When I used to get contact with my Duravanes it would leave a small black mark. Maybe I'll check for that too.

It could just be that my eyes are playing tricks on me, I'm still very accurate, it isn't causing any problems in my groups.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have someone stand directly behind you and see if they are still spiraling. Mine do that, and 3 other people have said they are flying perfectly straight. Also try shooting through paper at various distances.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

did you fletch with a offset?or a helical ?if so they are supposed to spin when flying.this is the wind catching the fletching.this gives better arrow flight when shoooting fixed blade broadheads.I always fletch mine witha offset to the right if your shooting right handed.or a helical.witch is a lttle more offset than just a standard offset.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:20 AM

Do they all do it? Or just one or two. Number your arrows and pay attention. How do they group. If they actually spiral they will not group that well.

I would look at rest contact or something being seriously miss adjusted if they all do it. Normally for me it is a bad or bent arrow. A bad nock could probably do it as well, or messed up fletching. If an arrow is out of balance it will do it.

I have one arrow that spirals bad on the way to the target, I put it on an arrow spinner and it actually looks good? I have other arrows that are not as straight that don't do that. It must be messed up somewhere though.

It could very well be an optical illusion as well, or windy out. My arrows do crazy stuff in the wind. Try some bare shafting and see what happens. If you just reflecthed the arrows maybe the fletchings are not uniform and causing problems during flight?

Paul
Old 08-12-2005, 09:13 AM

I would number them like Paul suggested to see if it is just one or two. If they all do it, spray the rest and/or vanes with foot powder to find out if you have any fletching contact. If you don't, put the arrows on a spinner to check for straightness. If they are all straight, check them for balance as well. If the arrow is out of balance, you will get that spiraling effect. If you still can't find out what is wrong, drop back and punt! j/k Seriously, Blazers are great vanes and you should be getting good arrow flight.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:08 AM

i've got 3 different colored vanes on my arrows to match my strings (god i don't know what has happened to me) and i get that effect sometimes. fletch a couple all 1 color and see if it doesn't clear up.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Doesnt help with 1 color either. All 3 of my vanes are yellow.

Quick Reply: Spiraling arrows?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.