Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Form Critique please >

Form Critique please

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Form Critique please

Old 08-11-2005, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Form Critique please

New bow, new critique please Also, I'm aiming at a target on the ground in pictures 1 and 3. Thats why I dont have the "T".

EEK.. I'm starting to get a gut

Old 08-11-2005, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Form Critique please

Look like you might be dropping your bow arm a little bit. Your upper body should form a level "T" shape, and if you have to elevate or depress the bow to aim at your target you should bend at the waist, not at the shoulder.

Otherwise, it looks pretty good to me.

Mike
Old 08-11-2005, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shouldn't you still be bending at the waist either way? [&:]

Edit: driftriders post wasnt there when I typed mine.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Darn simultanious posts!

Mike
Old 08-11-2005, 09:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Having a big gut can keep you from bending at the waist properly. I know all about that.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:37 PM

Everything looks good to me Josh.

If you weren't
aiming at a target on the ground
you would form that T everyone is so desperately looking for.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:30 AM

It also looks like you're leaning to the rear, which can mean a draw length that is a bit too long.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:07 AM

Well remember you asked. I don't think it looks that good to be honest. For one your draw looks like it might be a little long. Your are leaning back at draw, and bending your head into the string. This cannot be too comfortable. Also your feet look a bit close together and your stance a bit off. And your bow shoulder should be dropped down, not popped up.

Your grip looks good though.

Not that you can't shoot well that way, It just won't be as comfortable and repeatable. And that is the name of the game in archery. I can shoot all day and the only thing that gets tired is my shoulder from drawing the bow, and sometimes the inside of my hand.

Try this for me. Obviously you have someone with you taking the pics. I want you to stand addressing the target the way you usually do. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart. Stand straight up with your head and neck lined up with your spine. Looking straight ahead with our head level. Close your eyes draw the bow back until the string touches your nose and the bisects the corner of your mouth. Do not lean back or lean your head into the string to make it work. It may change your anchor point on your face. Now open your eyes and see if everything lines up, like your peep or what ever you use instead of one. You should make these items adjust to you, not the other way around.

Have who ever is helping varify that you are standing up straight and level and not leaning back or shifting your weight to one of your legs, especially the back one. Your bow arm should be straight or have a slight bend in it but not locked or over extended. Your grip should be relaxed. You only want enough tension to keep the bow from coming back and hitting you. And your bow shoulder should be rolled down and low with your draw elbow level with or above your arrow.

Look at pictures of pro archers and see how their stance and form is compared to yours. Then try and emulate that. Having a partner is a big help because they can tell you when you are doing something wrong or slipping again.

Now I want you to stand looking at your target. Hold your bow in front of you, close your eyes and draw it straight back to your anchor points. Open your eyes and see where the bow is pointing. If it is off to one side (usually to the right) change your stance so when you draw this way you are lined up on the target. Shift your feet in accordance to how you address the target either opening or closing your stance. This will make it much easier to hold on the target while at full draw because you are not fighting to push the bow where it needs to go. It will naturally point in that direction. If you have to mark the ground where your feet are for a reference point until you get used to go a head and do it. Do this every time you shoot a new a group of arrows or shift your feet. eventually you will get used to it and it will come naturally.

If you can't do any of this with your body straight and shoulder down and/or it is really uncomfortable your draw may be a bit long for you. You should also be able to stare at your target, hold your bow out in front of you and draw it straight back to your anchor point never talking our eyes off the target. If you have to point the bow up, pull it to the side or anything like that you are over bowed. You are either drawing too much weight, have too long of a draw or both. You should be able do draw on the target while looking at. Not point the bow in another direction, draw it and then find the target. It should be one smooth action with everything lining up on the target.

There are great pics of archers at full draw on AT, look for the thread about the outdoor games or what ever it was on tv a few weeks ago. Tons of pics at full draw. I may post a few of myself and my girlfriend. They are not perfect either, but will give you an idea of what I am talking about. Sometimes it's hard to see until you compare it to something.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 08-12-2005, 09:21 AM

Dang Paul. I can't add anything to that. [8D]

OK, maybe I will try. It deffinately looks like your draw length is too long. Looks like your bow arm elbow is pretty locked out, your left shoulder is up and your head is back. All signs of too long of a draw. Grip looks good though! Try Paul's suggestions and you should get it dialed in.

Paul, awesome response. I think I will go check my form when I get home tonight.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:43 AM
Spike

Here is a great example of propper form!

Quick Reply: Form Critique please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.