Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Tuning Broadheads!! >

Tuning Broadheads!!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Tuning Broadheads!!

Old 08-11-2005, 01:34 PM

Default Tuning Broadheads!!

Ok time to start shooting broadheads,, so my ?'s this, once you have spin tested your bh's, what's next??

do you shoot them and see how they fly? then try somemore adjusting?

once you get them to the best of thier ability,and they are still alittle off do you now begin to adjust your site for the final stage??

thought i would pick your brain to see howeverybody does it,, should probably take a poll on this one..
Old 08-11-2005, 03:15 PM

Default RE: Tuning Broadheads!!

www.eastonarchery.com

Check out the tuning manual. Very good info. First, even before spin testing, make sure the bow is tuned. Then, after spin testing, yes, shoot one and see how it flies. They may or may not hit with your field points, the group is what you are after.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.broadheadtests.com/TUNING.html
Read through my link, it will get you started.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:18 AM

The keys to good broadhead flight include not only tuning your bow, but tuning your arrows. Spine should be adequately stiff. Borderline spine is not so good with broadheads. Spine testing your arrows is very beneficial if you can do it. Making sure you have adequate F.O.C. will help. I like to keep it over 10%. Putting a helical fletch on your arrows will help a lot also.

Combine all this with a well tuned bow and you'll have great flying broadheads.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have found that lots of archers try to use too littel fletch on their arrows , shooting broadheads . I like 3 5inch feathers , or 4 4inch feathers for fixed broadheads . Trying to tune a big cutting fixed head with , say 3 3inch vanes is fustrating , and futile .

Straightarrow has given good advise , I see lots of archers shooting 29" 400 spine arrows at 70 pounds , way underspined
Old 08-12-2005, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally shoot broadhead arrows and field point arrows at the same spot. If the broadheads are off, I adjust the rest and nocking point until both types of arrows hit the same exact spot. Bare shaft tuning would accomplish the same thing.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

edit double post.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

I just set up my new trophy taker and I got it to shoot field points and broadheads. I shoot a broadhead and field point into the same dot on the target. I have three dots and shoot three times (six arrows). Then I usually tweek the rest L to R to make them hit the same. Be sure you only move the rest a "hair" at a time. Good luck.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

After the bow is sighted in for field points I will proceed to shoot the exposed blade broadheads to see if there is a difference in the point of impact. If there is then I make the appropriate adjustments to my nockset height or arrow rest position. The Easton Tuning Guide linked above is what I typically follow. All have given some good advice though.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

After the bow is sighted in for field points I will proceed to shoot the exposed blade broadheads to see if there is a difference in the point of impact. If there is then I make the appropriate adjustments to my nockset height or arrow rest position. The Easton Tuning Guide linked above is what I typically follow. All have given some good advice though.
Now a Question,
You paper tune and move your arrow restposition or nockset height to shoot bullet holes,
Now your going to move it again to adjust for broadhead flight, well you just screwed up your paper tuning. Am I correct? They both can't be right. Just wondering about this. It's like you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Quick Reply: Tuning Broadheads!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.