Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 aroow length problem please help >

aroow length problem please help

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

aroow length problem please help

Old 08-10-2005, 08:49 PM

Default aroow length problem please help

im new to bowhunting but i been practicing for a couple of months with arrows which length is 65-75. i went to go and buy new aroows at walmart the other day and i forgot to look at the size and i got shorter arrows 50-60. will this change effect my bows accuracy because the bow was sighted in with 65-75 length arrows. please help!!!
Old 08-10-2005, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: aroow length problem please help

You will most likely see a difference. Those are two different spined arrows. If you are shooting 70 lbs. the new arrows will be underspined.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, you'll definitely see a difference. Those arrows are less stiff, and quite a bit lighter than the 6075's. They won't shoot the same.Without knowing what bow you're shooting, what your draw length and draw weight is, there's no way of knowing if that's good or bad for you though.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pardon me.... Buying arrows at {gasp!} Wal-Mart?!?!

Don't buy arrows there.... They are all a generic cut length and 90% of the time will not be the right setup for your bow (unless you have your own equipment to cut the arrows and re-glue in the insert adapters). Go to a real sporting goods store where they can make the arrows exactly for your bow. Or perhaps check out fsdiscountarchery on the internet and order them built to for your bow. http://fsdiscountarchery.com

Butch A.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:24 PM
Typical Buck

wow, now that is odd. i have been wondering what the 50-60 meant on my arrows i bought at mal-wart (in an emergency last season) is that the length? no wonder they don't shoot worth a f#@k
Old 08-11-2005, 09:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

The number is not the length, so.il.hntr. That's the spine, or stiffness, classification for the arrow. It's supposed to work on bows ranging from 50-60 pounds of draw weight at a given arrow length where the 6075's would work on bows from 60-75 pounds at a given arrow length. That's an overly simplistic explanation though, not including draw length, cam type, release type (fingers vs mechanical) or point weight. Those are all variables that effect how stiff your arrows need to be.

If your arrows aren't stiff enough, they won't ever shoot worth a whatever-you-said. For a release shooter, it's much better to have arrows too stiff for your setup than too limp. But it's always best to properly match your arrow spine to the bow.

Old 08-17-2005, 08:26 AM

you have to undertand that, any change in shooting can change your shot. I've been shooting the same arrows, field tips, fletchings, and broadheads, and my shot grouping has been pretty well the same. But i am trying to find out myself if there are better set ups also. Just know that yes it can change the flight of your arrow and like it was said earlier on, quit buying your arrows at walmart, I order mine out of cabelas, but there are a lot of other places, like sport shops that will cut it directly for your bow
Old 08-17-2005, 10:48 PM

i new to bowhunting as i said before and i didnt know until know that there was such a thing as custom arrows. i heard that carbon express arrows wear good that why i bought them.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bigsol, you are about to enter the wonderful world of technical archery.
There is a lot to learn, bu twow can it make a difference in your groups and quality of arrow flight. Getting the details right and making everything match and work harmoniously can make all the difference.

Enjoy.
-Bulz