Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Suggestions for new string >

Suggestions for new string

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Suggestions for new string

Old 08-10-2005, 01:49 AM
Site Bouncer

Default Suggestions for new string

Hey all,

Well I need to put a new string on my Browning Boss Tracker. I thought I could get another year out of it becausethere is nothing wrong with it.... well except it has stretched pretty bad. I have on there now a basic 59 1/2 in Stone Mountain FF

Should I keep using the same type (fast flight)or is there a better string for this bow?It has steel cables and they are in great shape so no need for them, just the string.

It has pretty aggressive cams (Browning Heat cams)and the string always does this (stretch) before it even starts to show signs of wear. I'm thinking I would like something less prone to stretching.

Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated.

BigJ
Old 08-10-2005, 04:37 AM

Default RE: Suggestions for new string

There are a few string materials that won't stretch much. Brownell's Ultracam has the highest content of vectran, which is a material that will not stretch. The typical 100" string that I make out of this material, will creep no more than 1/16" in a year. On the downside, vectran is more brittle, so strings should be replaced every year by someone shooting a lot.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:28 AM
Dominant Buck

You could get a good string and/or cables from just about any string maker.
Check out ebay. There is a guy there who makes strings and cables for 42.00 bucks a set or 25.00 bucks a string. Im shooting two sets of his strings and cablesin two different hoyts and I like them. I replaced Zebras and fastflights with his strings and cables this summer and have been impressed. He uses 452x and 450 plus material. I think he will also take requests on other materials (not sure). I think his ebay user name is casper something. Mathewsalso has a good string with the zebra.

Oh I shouldmention,450 pluse and 452x string is a blend ofDyneema andvectran. As straightarrow explained it is very low stretch.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:49 AM
Site Bouncer

Thanks for the replies,

I will look into some different materials for the string this time around. I am pretty much stuck with the cables because they are steel. They are in great shape so I'm not too concerned with them.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

BIGJ, there is not a string made that doesn not creep. There is not a string material made that doesn not stretch. I'm going to give you some stright dope here. One of the best materials right now is BCY 8125. Zebra strings are made of 8125----and they are junk. Winner's Choice strings are made of 8125 and they are about as good as it gets. The problem is not with the material, but who makes the string. I've seen Zebra's creep as much as 1 1/2" over time. The same string made by Winner's Choice will creep about 1/8' in 50 shots and never move again. Do ya see what I'm saying here? It's not the string---it's how they are made.

I've used aftermarket strings made by Prostrings, Vapor Trail and Winner's Choice. All have been superior to any factory string. I give a slight edge to WC for overall quality. And they even have warranties to cover serving separation and other little things. Cost in most cases is more than run of the mill strings hanging in a shop, but you get an added assurance that once you have your bow shot and tuned it most likely won't change for as long as the string is on the bow

I see you're from the midwest. Try a Gander Mountain store if you have one nearby. They handle WC now. You won't be sorry.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

I put winners choice on my bow and I am very happy with it. If I had to do it again I would spend the money and get a good string.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:03 PM

I too just had a winners choice string put on my bow and have shot about 100-120 arrows so far. I really expected to need to reset all of my pins but so far, I really dont see a change. True I have only shot out to the 20 yard mark. So we will see what happens when I double or even triple that distance.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:18 PM

I haad a new Winners Choice string put on a couple of weeks ago and have at least 300 shoots with NO stretch
Old 08-11-2005, 09:46 PM
Site Bouncer

I think I like what I'm hearing about the winners choice strings. I will try them this go round and see how they perform. Thanks for the help fellas

BigJ