Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Release styles in the woods >

Release styles in the woods

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Release styles in the woods

Old 08-06-2005, 08:31 PM

Default Release styles in the woods

Curious on how many archers use a hand held relaese vs a wrist srtap type such as a scott while hunting. I was planning on using my tru ball in the woods this year...any advice
Old 08-06-2005, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Release styles in the woods

I use a wrist strap release. Scott Mongoose.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm still tossing this one around this season......basically cause' I'm an idiot and keep trying new stuff.
I have a good ol' Scott Rhino index that I have about 4 million shots through but it's a little battle worn and smells like a dead catfish.[:'(]
I have been auditioning new releases for this season.......
My Carter handheld/thumb trigger is out/ Too sensitive a bit loud on the release and I'm sure I'll drop it at least once a hunt.

I have a Copper John 'Eagle' handheld that I really like (plus I can't drop it) it's pinpoint accurate like my Carter but I still wonder how I'll do with it under pressure or on a moving target or if I need to shoot quickly?

I tried one at the IBO Worlds yesterday that I really liked a lot. The Carter "Quickie" wrist/index. It's similar in function to the Scott Rhino but with a better loop hook, a crisper and cleaner trigger with no travel , it resets itself and is dead silent.
I had a Carter "One Shot" double sear wrist/index but the trigger while very crisp was a little too stiff and much better suited to controlled back tension style shooting. The "Quickie" has a refined single sear and it is slick as snot.

I still want to try a Scott "Wildcat" but so far the Carter "Quickie" is inthe lead for a possible new hunting release.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use my fingers. Quiet. Accurate enough to hit a tennis ball most every time at 30 yards (without sights, by the way). Dependable. And, best of all, I have never once dropped 'em out of a treestand! Well, not yet anyway.

IF I used a release, I'd use a hand model, like the Carter Hunter, instead of a wriststrap. With a wriststrap release, I get the weirdest feeling, like my hands are tied together by the bow. It's almost claustrophobic. I can handle it shooting targets. Can't stand it when I'm hunting though!
Old 08-06-2005, 11:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

For the last 3 years I have been using the TruBall Extreme with Talon head for everything 3d,spots and hunting.

This year I got the Magtek hand held and I will tell ya what I have yet to find a crisper release with zero trigger travel and you dont know when the magnet is going to break over and fire the release.
You can command the shot with it but I prefer to use back tension.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:04 AM

last year was a hick's handheld, but its too loud on the shot. got a tru-ball extreme with the talon head, but the hunting version you don't have to cock - so its silent on the shot. thing is i'm learning backtension with a tru-ball ultra 3 and i'm so into it i'm scared to pick the thumb trigger up and lose the progress i'm making. actually thinking about not hunting and just practicing, or hunting with the pure bt release. i'll probably end up going with the thumb trigger though. i can't stand wrist strap releases either. after getting used to a handheld they feel really weird.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wrist strap, caliper style. Tru Ball Stinger. Simple, no nonsense release.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:09 PM

Wrist wrap caliper from trufire. Been using it about 6 years.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:10 AM

I have always used a wrist strap release but this year I am going to use a TRU Ball Chappy Boss hand held. If you are worried about dropping it, they make a wrist strap that you attach to the release or you can attach it to your string and leave it.

http://truball.com/Pages/3straps.html
Old 08-08-2005, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been using the same Fletchunter handheld concho style release for the last 10yrs. I tied a piece of cord around the end that i slip over my wrist so if it drops out of my hand it's still hanging on my wrist. But just in case i forget to put the cord around my wristihave anotherrelease just like it that i keep in my pouch.

Quick Reply: Release styles in the woods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.