Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

G5 Montec

Old 08-17-2005, 08:27 AM

Default RE: G5 Montec

I bought some G5 Montecs , shot one several times into a bag target and then sold them. Here's why.

I was testing heads for my hog hunt. I was shooting them all through a bag target and into a roll of foam.(old sleeping pad) All the new heads went through the bag target and through the foam the first shot and stuck in the ground. After the first shot, the G5 would not even go half way into the bag target. It was that dull after one hit in the ground. (NO, it didn't hit a rock) ALL of the other heads that I tried kept going through everything. The Muzzy 90 grain 4 blade and the Muzzy 3 blade 100 grain went through the bag and foam and into the ground more than 20 shots each without ever changing the blades.

NOW....to be fair, all you would shoot that Montec while out hunting would be once and then you could go home and re-sharpen it. I realise that, but those Muzzys are tough, (AND CHEAPER) so I stuck with them.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:51 PM

mainehunt, i hope those blades don't fall out on your way to the stand!
yes i shoot montec g5, i now will never use another head! and the sharpe thing......come on people, u think that resharpening arrow heads a hard! all the practice u get, all the hours scouting and u won't sharpen a broadhead, u would rather put some flimbsy 3 or 4 piece of junk on your arrow instead of sharpening!
1 piece and just needs a little stone work and u get a unbeatable head, the best period!
Old 08-22-2005, 12:50 PM
Typical Buck

I have shot the Montecs for the last 2 years.
They fly great and group out to 80 yards (messing around in hunting camp). Penetration is excellent, however you do need to sharpen them. As far as practice goes, get the preseason heads, or use some of the heads that got dinged up last hunting season.

While I will still most likely use the Montecs this year, I have been looking at the Simmons Razor Sharks. I just picked up a pack from my local shop and wow. Those main blades are the thickest I have seen (.050), with the exception of the German Kinetics Silver Flames.

Old 08-23-2005, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's definately not a big job re-sharpening the Montec's ,and as I said before I love them ,but they could be sharper out of the pack .But for me to like them even when they dullen has got to say something for this great head .

nubo
Old 08-23-2005, 07:19 PM

I shot the G5 Montecs last year and my best-friend shot the Crossfires. He will be shooting Crossfires again this year, but I won't be shooting the Montecs.

Both b-heads flew VERY VERY well. The cross-fire may have a slight advantage in this dept. but it is also a smaller b-head.

The Montec is TOUGH, very tough, and the no nonsense 1 piece design is really nice, but like the others mentioned, the blades aren't as sharp as I would like, and getting a good edge on them after they got dull was very difficult. The Crossfires are INCREDIBLY sharp, but they don't care a really good edge for a long time either, the nice thing is the blade cartridge can be replaced.

Penetration on both was awsome. I shot a very large doe at around 20 yards using a BowTech Liberty and got a complete pass-thru with the arrow digging about a foot into the ground behind her. My best-friend shot a pig of a buck and had the same results as my shot.

Now for the differance maker.... the blood trail. The Crossfires were very much like Thunderheads in that the blades are so sharp that you get an excellent blood trail. The G5 Montec, even though being a perfect double lung shot, left very little blood. The entrance and exit holes weren't nearly as impressive as I figured, but the big thing was that the blades were duller than the Crossfires and this made it easier for the blood to clot up in the wound. Both deer went less than 50 yards before hitting the dirt.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:09 PM

i use the montecs and love them yes i wish they were sharper out of the box but if you follow thier excellent video on how to resharpen them they can be razor sharp!!! they fly great now i'm trying the tekans this year, switched from muzzy's to montec's tough broadhead!!!
Old 08-29-2005, 10:27 AM

I use the Montec. I agree that are only good for shot then need to be resharpened, but they are very easy to resharpen. I use my ceramic fine grit whet stone. Just lay em flat and sweep it across on each all 3 sides. Easy and perfect. The edge on the Montec is a different design, its angle looks more like a chisel than a knife blade. They don't cut hair real well, but try them on a Green Pepper or Tomato (great edge testers) they are as sharp as my working chef knives.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:10 PM

I used them last year, killed a buck and a doe with them. very sharp. worked well with my set up
Old 09-01-2005, 10:00 AM

I hear that the crossfire is a pretty good one. I heard it performs well.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought some and they fly great!! Does this company read these posts? You would think they would better their product by making them to hold and edge. I am returning my heads to try something else.

Quick Reply: G5 Montec

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.