Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Rest hitting shelf >

Rest hitting shelf

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Rest hitting shelf

Old 08-01-2005, 08:07 AM

Default Rest hitting shelf

Okay, before we get into the "use a Drop-Zone rest and it will take care if it...", I would like to get some input on this problem.
I have an older Alpine Rebel, about 5-6 years old, it is the hunter series. I am having problems with both a TM style rest anda Cobra Diamondback Dropaway rest hitting the riser shelf and deflecting my arrows. Its as if the rest mount screw is to far back to allow for proper mount of the rest and clear movement of the flippers.
Has anyone ever had this sort of problem before?I do not have a local shop that I can just jump in the car to go to, so any advise for home fix is greatly appreciated. I will clarify anything if it helps you understand this better.
Thanks guys and gals.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:21 AM

Default RE: Rest hitting shelf

I would love to see a pic of the prong rest on the bow if you could swing it. Like a pictuer of the rest from the side with an arrow nocked. At rest not full draw. This would really let us see how it is installed and we could comment on any changes you could make to fix it.

If not we could try and wing it, or I could post a pic of what a typical set up would look like and you could compare it to yours.

Paul
Old 08-01-2005, 03:26 PM

Perhaps the rest needs bolted farther behind the riser? Or perhaps it needs to be raised?
Old 08-01-2005, 07:20 PM

Okay this pic shows the rest at max mount with the prongs just up off the shelf. Any higher and the vanes won't clear the rest.
I hope the pic loads. If not I'll try again.

Old 08-01-2005, 07:21 PM

And here is from the opposite side I know the loop looks sloppy, in trying to move the nock point higher and the raise the rest, I was gettin' frustrated and left it!

Old 08-01-2005, 08:08 PM

OK....I hope I am right, this is what I would do. Loosen the mounting bolt and lift the arm making it more horizontal. This of course will raise your prongs quite a bit, but you can raise your nock point to level it back out. Oh, you will probably need to raise your prongs after the move so they "stand up" again. After you move the mounting bar, the prongs will be quite flat.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:40 AM

I don't think that is the answer. The vanes will definately not clear the prongs in either orientation, cock vane up or down.
I am not sure how high I can raise the prongs before interfering with the sight and having my nock loop leave the string serving.

Old 08-02-2005, 10:20 AM

Are the prongs actually hitting the shelf keeping it from going all the way down? It does look pretty close to me. I would suggest moving the rest back some if you can. You could probably go 1/2 to 1 inch farther back and still have a pretty forgiving set up. Providing the rest will let you mount it that way. On most rests you can mess with the angle of the prongs to get the fletching clearance you need.

Try and set it up so the shaft runs thru the middle of the mounting hole for the rest, or maybe a bit a higher if you have to. Then set the nocking point a little higher than that. From the way it looks now you are nock low. I know you said you were just messing with it though. If you were shooting it like that it will force the arrow down into the prongs on the way out slamming it down into the shelf. I slightly high nock setting will help it clear the prongs easier.

Also pay attention to the spring tension. It should be just enough to hold the arrow up at full draw.

I would actually suggest getting a slightly better prong rest that is easier to adjust. The rest you have should work, they are just a pain to fiddle with. A better rest like a GFK will let you adjust the angle of the prongs and rest height easier.

I'm not familiar with the drop a way you talking about so I cannot help you out there.

Maybe this week I will throw a TM hunter on my darton and show you what I am talking about. If your rest will not let you move it back any farther and have the correct angle for fletch clearance you have two options. Get a diffrent rest or possibly shoot feathers. However if you are shooting the bow with that nock position and a stiff spring it is going to cause all kinds of problems. The rest will actually throw the arrow up as it comes out of the bow.

Also when using a loop like that pay attention to where the arrow is nocked before you draw. I would put it so the nock rests against the top knot of your loop. However you do it, it should be consistant from shot to shot.

Good luck. If you don't get what I'm saying let me know I will try and explain it differently or post some pictures for you.

Paul
Old 08-02-2005, 12:35 PM

Thanks Paul!
The rest will not allow for a further setting. It is maxed. It seems as though I have the shaft mounted center like you said.
The spring tension is another issue. It is a light as it can be without it falling down into the rest by the weight of the arrow, and if I adjust it a smidgen, and I mean almost hardly atall,it is too tight and throws arrows to the moon! I see about the prong height and I think mobowhuntr was alluding to this as well, angling the prongs so even though the rest mount is horizontal, the prongs still angle up. I get it now.
Paul if you look at the string serving and the nock loop in pic 2, I don't have much room to work with. So a nock high is getting up there.
GFK? Golden Key Futura? I'll look into it.
The Diamondback is similar to the Shakey Hunter. Seems nice but I'll know more if I can get it to work!
Thanks guys!
Old 08-02-2005, 05:02 PM

Do you know how to re-serveyour string?

Mobow had the answer, so now all you need to do is raise the mounting bar, and then turn the prong adjustment up to give them clearance again. You sound like you have the spring setting right on, so dont play with it.

The above adjustmentswill obviouslythrow your nocktune and sights off, but if its hitting the riser, its necessary.

Re-serve the string and make it a shorty serving that starts higher than the current one. NOTE, I didntnotice any peep or kisser there, but dont serve too high, as this can interfere with adding those accessories should you have a short anchor to reference distance.

Hope you can get it figured out, have a good one---Matt

Quick Reply: Rest hitting shelf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.