Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Muzzy 100 Grain Shooters >

Muzzy 100 Grain Shooters

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Muzzy 100 Grain Shooters

Old 07-29-2005, 09:10 PM

Default Muzzy 100 Grain Shooters

Muzzy 100 grain. 3 or 4 blades and why? Flight? Hole? Blood Trail? Thanks.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Muzzy 100 Grain Shooters

shoot 3 blades for elk and deer. so far so good.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:04 AM

4 blade. more cut = more blood = dead deer faster and easier to find. I haven't seen any difference in flight.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot 3 blades just because thats what they had in 100 gr. 4 blades won't penetrate as much but they will cut more. I don't really think the extra blade is necessary and like how the 3 blades perform, but i'm sure either will work fine.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

If I were going to shoot a Muzzy it would be the four blade model. I am not particularly fond of the way the three blades lock into the furrel off center of the center of the furrel. The four blade model locks the blades much more securely than the three blade model does.

You also get a slight advantage in total tissue cut with the four blade model over the three blade model. The three blade head has a total cut factor of 1.78 inches and the four blade model has a total cut of 2 inches.

Honestly if I were going to shoot this style of head I would much rather shoot the innerlock. The three blades are centered on the furrel and the steel tip extends all the way through the furrel and threads into the rear. I find this set up much stronger and have found the innerlocks to be a more accurate head.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot the 3 blade 100gr. They fly nice for me, penatration is awsome which = good blood trail.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:41 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah, to me, penetration is more important to a blood trail than most possiblecutting diameter. If the arrow does not pass completely through, then the wound is not completely open and blood flow will be somewhat restricted. If the 3 blade offers more penetration, which is why I chose it, then that's how I believe you get good blood.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:27 PM
Typical Buck

I was going to ask the same thing, what's the real deal with the difference between 3 and 4 blades, 3 penetrates more and 4 makes a bigger hole, how can it when the 3 bladed has a bigger cut. Also blood trails which is better, trying to find a happy medium, good penetration and good blood, are 4's harder to sight in, if so how do you line them up with the fletchings? Does it matter with 4?
Old 07-30-2005, 11:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lou-Lou, the four blade head while having a smaller cutting diameter actually cuts more flesh than the three blade head does.

The three blade head has a cutting idameter of 1 3/16th inch while the four blade head has a 1 inch cutting diameter. So, each of the blades on the three blade model stick out from the center .594 inches and multiply that number times the number of blades (three) and you get a total "slash factor" of 1.782 inches. Each blade of the four blade head sticks out exactly .5 inches. Multiply that number times the number of blades (four) and you get a total "slash factor" of exactly two inches.

By "slash factor" I mean that if you had a single edged blade, such as a knife, the "slash factor" number would be the length of that single blade.

Now compare them on a linear scale and for every inch of foward cut the four blade head cuts .218 more inches of flesh. Add that up through 18 inches of a deers chest and and the four blade head will cut 3.924 more inches of flesh. Or through an elks chest at three feet across and the four blade will cut 7.848 more inches of flesh.

No on to the other questions. A four blade head should be just as easy to tune as a three blade head. I strongly believe that the four blade head secures its blades in the furrel much better than the three blade model does. I give the strength vote to the four blade head.

Lining up the blades with the fletchings has absolutely no merit what so ever. This was just recently asked around here and you would literally have to be a math wizzard to figure out exactly where to place the blades in relationship to the fletchings. And then as soon as the wind direction changes, the arrow speed changes, temperature changes, humidity changes etc... etc... etc... it would all be fore not. Basically it is 100% impossible to get the blades of a broadhead and the fletchings to travel through the same air for more than a split second. Simply make sure that your broadheads spin true and if it makes you feel more confident you can orient all of the broadheads the same way in relation to each other so that they all leave the bow the same way but forget about the fletchings.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

4 blade muzzy 100"s work for me

Quick Reply: Muzzy 100 Grain Shooters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.