Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Long draw lengths >

Long draw lengths

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Long draw lengths

Old 07-29-2005, 08:27 PM

Default Long draw lengths

In 1980 I bought a PSE Citation Hunter in a 34" draw. In 1994 I bought an Oneida Aero-Force in a 34" draw. Nowdays, can't find anything past 30" draw. In the past 25 years, people have gotten taller and that means their arms are longer. What gives?

Or has the way the draw length is measured changed?
Old 07-29-2005, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Long draw lengths

I think I saw a couple in 31", but nothing longer than that, at least not in catalogs where you'll seee the mainstream stuff. You may have to call a manufacturer to see what they can do.

...or you could just get a 6" release handle. [8D]
Old 07-29-2005, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

The measurement method hasn't changed. It's still "wingspan divided by 2.5. To correctly shoot a 34" draw a person would have to have a wingspan of about 85". Wingspan is often very close to a person's height. So, to have a bow with a 34" draw fit correctly, or nearly so, then a person would have to be a little over 7' tall. This probably isn't the case for you and if you are like 80% of shooters then you are shooting at least 2" too long---at least.

Now to answer another question. If you must have a very long draw bow then look at what Martin has to offer. I think they have a couple bows that will go as long as 36" draw. The RazorX/Elite or possibly the ShadowCat/Elite comes to mind. The SlayR goes to 33".

There are others, of course, but you just won't find them hanging in shops. A 34" draw is maybe a one in 10,000 type of thing that must be special ordered.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:16 AM

how tall are you?

my high country tss goes to 33 inches
Old 07-31-2005, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Beginning rant:

Bows have gotten shorter and shorter and they've put more and more reflex in them. Designed for the average smurf. They could easily make bows with very long draw lengths if they'd make a special straight or deflex riser for long armed guys. Problem is, there aren't enough of us long draw guys for most manufacturers to fool with it. Hoyt, Martin, Onieda and, I think, Merlin are about the only ones who offer bows that draw over 33".

And you will not find that kind of draw length hanging on the rack at the local bow store. If you do thumb through the catalogs and find a bow with the kind of draw length you need - never any in the midrange price class, always top end stuff - you gotta special order the thing without getting to shoot it first. If the bow turns out to be a total dog, you wind up buying an expensive bow you really don't want or you cut your loses and forfiet your deposit.

Frankly, for anyone who draws longer than 31", the compound end of the industry flat sucks.[:'(] The near total disregard for long draw archers is one of the many things that convinced me to return completely to traditional. Recurves and longbows: custom made from beautiful exotic woods by skilled crafstmen. VS Compounds: manufacturered from machine made metal and plastic components, slapped together by some semi-trained monkey on an assembly line. And the compounds are usually more expensive than the custom traditional bows!! Figure that'n out for me, cuz I just don't get it!

End rant.

BGfisher.... some guys have wingspan measurements a bit longer than their height. Me, for instance. I'm only 78" tall but have a wingspan of 82".
Old 07-31-2005, 08:12 AM

And the compounds are usually more expensive than the custom traditional bows!! Figure that'n out for me, cuz I just don't get it!
I think it's called the 200% profit margin syndrome. The industry is opening itself to some stiff Chinese competition, if prices keep escalating at the current pace. In fact, I'm real surprised that it hasn't already happened. If the industry was a little larger, I'm sure it would have.

If you are abnormally tall, you will have trouble getting equipment in many sports. Whether it's archery, cycling, golfing or many other others, you often end up having to get custom made equipment. There are manufacturers who will do it for a price. From what I hear, someone out there made a bow for Shaq. If he can shoot a bow that fits him, then 99.99999999% of the population can.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

You reckon 99.99999999% of us have either Shaq's name recognition or bank account? Fame and money is what got his bow built.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

smartestbull, I shoot 34" and about the only, established bow manufacturer is Hoyt. Their ProTec and UltraTec can be fitted for long draw length shooters. I have both with my favorite for hunting being the ProTec with a 41" axle to axle and for target and 3-D, the ProTec at 47 3/4" axle to axle.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:53 PM

I just have to ask you guys that have 34" draw lengths one question.

Do your knuckles burn from dragging the ground?

You guys must be HUGE!!!!

All in good fun boys...Im just a little 27-1/4" draw....so I dont wantto start anything with you "long-arms".
Old 07-31-2005, 10:27 PM
Site Bouncer

BGfisher.... some guys have wingspan measurements a bit longer than their height. Me, for instance. I'm only 78" tall but have a wingspan of 82".
Arthur P,

I'm the same way, I'm 6'4" (76") and my wingspand is 82" as well. Becides Hoyt and some of the other manufacturers you mentioned, there are still a number of slightly older used Browning bows that can be found in longer draw lenghts as well.

I am disappointed that Browning stopped making their bows with long draw lenghts, but then again I feel their quality has suffered some since slightly before andafter their merger with PSE. Their new line (illusion) is supposed to be a great bow to shoot but alas I won't ever know that because it is only offered in 27-30in draw lenghts[:@]

Like I always say....."It's not a big mans world"

Quick Reply: Long draw lengths

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.