Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Rock Mountain Turbos >

Rock Mountain Turbos

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Rock Mountain Turbos

Old 07-31-2005, 07:43 AM

Default RE: Rock Mountain Turbos

Muzzy is a good time tested broadhead, but what are you basing that opinion on? 1/16" of cutting diameter?
IMO the new breed of short, inherently accurate heads like the Rocky Mt. Turbo, NAP Nitron, Slick Tricks, Sonicsetc could quite quickly replace oldstandbys as Muzzy, Thunderhead etc as the year in year out favorites.
My thoughts exactly. In addition, Muzzy's blades are thinner (i.e. easier bent/broken) and Muzzy's don't have steel ferules (steel is much stronger than aluminum)like the above mentioned heads.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:00 AM
Typical Buck

All you guys can have your medium size broadheads, They penetrate because they are smaller and sharper. i'll stick to old reliable, after all these new broadheads fade out year after year, muzzy will remain.Wonder why?
Old 07-31-2005, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seems like the last time I counted the different broadheads in my journal that I used to take deer there were twenty six different heads if I remember right. Most types were used more than one time but a few weren't. By that I mean I used the same style of head to kill more than one animal but I didn't necessarily use the exact same broadhead over and over, although I have done that too with certain types.

When it comes to performance inthe quality heads that are on the market, one begins to split hairs (no pun intended) . There are strengths and weaknesses to all the different designs. For example most would agree that all things being equal a three blade head will out penetrate a four blade head of the same design, and a two blade will out penetrate athree blade head.That leads usto the debate concerning cutting surfaces (area), hole size and blood trails. Eventually the bottom line becomes when is enough penetration enough? Are there trade-offs? If so what are they?

Then we have thearguementsconcerning cut on contact heads and their "ease of penetration" versus the "bone crushing" power of a conical head. Having used both I think both arguements are over hyped for the average bowhunter

Of course there is the never ending squabble between the guys that lovemechanical heads versus the guy that shoots only fixed blades.Having taken plenty of game with bothagain I will say, quality heads of both designs work, and work very effectively as long as the shooterdoes his part. By that I don't only mean in the firing of the bow(as in shot location)but also the tuningof the weapon and the effort of good practice sessions.

Finally, it would be naive to think that one design should be used by all. Each person's setup is different. For penetration purposes I think it is wise for some people to stick to a two blade, for others there are some advantages to be had by using a more blades. Like wise some should stay away from mechanicals, for others they may be better served using one. Further, I think it handicaps a person to become "emotionally attached" to a product whatever that product may be. Sure we all have our "favorites", nothing wrong with that. But to blindly follow any product without keeping an open mind when it comes to improvments in the industry,is just, well,foolish.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:10 PM
Typical Buck

Very well put antler eater, Email me or send a message I would like to compare notes with you on the different heads we have used and make a comparison.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:52 PM

I'm just thinking about the steeper blade angle and the blades being short. I'd like to see a 1 3/8 inch cut 3 or4 blade with a blade length of only one inch and weigh 125 grains.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

11/8" cut is plenty enough cutting area. Even the Magnus Stinger has the same cut. Gotta remember something, with a larger head also comes more resistance.

Just ordered a 3 pack of Rocky Mt. Turbos along with extra blades yesterday.