Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 The Latest MUST HAVE (STS)!!!! >

The Latest MUST HAVE (STS)!!!!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

The Latest MUST HAVE (STS)!!!!

Old 07-08-2005, 07:08 PM

Default The Latest MUST HAVE (STS)!!!!

Well after listening to all of the positive talk about the STS system I broke down and bought one for my Old Glory. And from the first arrow I new it was $40 well spent, if not the best $40 dollars I had ever spent archery wise. It really does as advertised. It makes your bow more forgiving and quieter. Probably more forgiving than quieter in the case of my Old Glory. Not that extra sims rubber can hurt a bow. I really do think this will be the next "MUST HAVE" for most archers. I would not be surprised to see some bows coming from the factory with STS systems already installed. I really thought my OG already was a tack driver but but now it really stacks the arrows together with the STS installed. I'll take some pics of it and post it. In the meantime you can check out their website at: www.stsarchery.com
Old 07-08-2005, 07:24 PM

Default RE: The Latest MUST HAVE (STS)!!!!

I love that it takes absolutly every bit of shock out of the bow. I just hate the little whack noise. Its quiet but a differnt sound. But I would recommend.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am starting to wonder about it a bit. I was always under the impression that it did do everything as advertised but after Len made a few comments about it awhile back I started tinkering with it a bit more. I believe it falls very much along the same lines as limbsavers in a sense. On some bows with certain setups it makes quite a difference in noise, recoil and vibration. While on other bows the change is negligible if at all noticeable.

Just some food for thought.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:49 PM

Seems to work well with already quiet bows, such as the hoyt cam and a half and the ewqualizer cams. I have one on my allegiance and it takes out what little recoil and vibration is left. Doesnt help accuracy for me. Also does not work on my duallys, at all. Still a ways from "must have"for me.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:55 PM

You said it right mizzou my alleys shock is all gone, I mean dead in my hand. Groups no better, and noise, sts kinda just changes the sound of the noise.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

I made something similar to that last year. But rather than mounting a seaperate rod in the stabilizer hole mine simply clamped to the end of the cable guard rod and was centered on my string about 1.5 inches above the nock of the arrow. I made it using a Sims limb saver just like the STS. It turned a very quiet bow making only a low thudd sound to a much louder thwack sound. It was noticibly louder with that thing installed so I immediately took it off.

Maybe mine being much closer to the center of the bow made a difference in the noise level mine made but it only made my bow louder.

Besides, there have been similar products on the market that do the same thing the STS does for a long time now so what is so special about this one?
Old 07-09-2005, 06:49 AM
Typical Buck

Besides, there have been similar products on the market that do the same thing the STS does for a long time now so what is so special about this one?
Absolutely nothing... it's just been pushed down everyones throat on every forum... I won't buy one that's for sure. Just for the fact I'm sick of hearing about them.. and I could make the same thing for $10 or so. Not to mention the originals from Saunders and the like are 1/2 the price of the copy. Does this guy also copy his marketing strategy from Mathews or what?
Old 07-09-2005, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ken:

It funny you should compare the STS with Mathews. I keep feeling the same way about them both. With all the praise the STS gets on AT, I feel that I have to try it again, just to see what I am doing wrong. They mention a "sweet spot", which I have searched for, and experimented as much as I know how to do. I still hear a slap. Not really loud, not that much louder than the bow is without it, but not quieter. When I first shot the bow with the STS, I had a Whisker Biscuit rest, and it seemed to shoot very well. I have since re-installed a drop away, and I think I can group a bit better without the STS. Not sure why. The way guys talk about STS on AT, I guess I was just expecting more of a difference. When others who have shot it claim the same results I had - not really quieter, just different, it at least makes me think I'm not nuts (at least temporarily). I would think there would be at least some potential for downward nock travel for a few inches after the string hits the STS. I guess it seems to work better for some than others.
My impressions of my bow without the STS is that it is quiet enough, forgiving enough, and more accurate than the crackpot behind the string.[8D]
Old 07-09-2005, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am wondering what it is doing to the nock travel as well. After seeing the still shot photo (AT & mathews forums)of the olympic archer shooting a switchback where the camera caught the string at it's full foreward position(dang near touching the riser all the way up!)- I would think the STS would cause the nock to be tossed down because of no STS stopper on top of the riser, above the nock as there is below.

I know I pulled my dropzone off because I was getting some nasty tears (and fixed blade b/h arrow flight) I couldn't live with. NowI wonder what would have happened if I'd removed the STS for a couple of shots.

How many of you STS'ers have flown your fixed blades with it yet??
If so, any noticable group changes?
Old 07-09-2005, 10:26 AM

Like I sort of stated above, The STS didn't really seem to do too much for quieting down my Old Glory, which by the way is plenty quiet already. But the area where I saw the major difference was accuracy. It really tightened up my groups. Tell me if I'm crazy or not but it seems that Mathews bows seems to be the ones the STS has problems helping. Not a bash just an observation. The STS is in no way the cure all for all of your bow and tuning problems but in my case it seems to have helped tremendously.

Quick Reply: The Latest MUST HAVE (STS)!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.