Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 What Are Your Methods For Consistent Grip? >

What Are Your Methods For Consistent Grip?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What Are Your Methods For Consistent Grip?

Old 07-01-2005, 06:18 AM

Default What Are Your Methods For Consistent Grip?

I am curious of how many of you ensure you are gripping the bow consistently. I'm not talking about tension, fingers etc....I am meaning placing the fat part of your palm to the same location on the grip (riser) on every shot.

I have heard of people super gluing pencil erasers to the grip area of the bow and even tattoos on the web of the hand....curious how you all find the same spot with your grip every shot.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:58 AM

Default RE: What Are Your Methods For Consistent Grip?

Good question! I'm interested in how others do this also.

I do it mostly by feel, but also as I'm setting my bow hand, I look down at where the arrow is aligned with my hand. I have a small scar on my left hand and if I'm aligned correctly, the arrow is about half covering the scar. This is just for visual confirmation, I do it mostly by feel.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:09 AM

I think the most important part of having a consistant grip is that once you are positioned to keep it there by aplying pressure with your drawing arm.

Avoid holding the bow with your bow hand and THEN loosening the grip once you are at full draw.

Achieve the grip you want - with loose fingers not holding the riser - pull on the string to get pressure before you draw - then go through with the shot.

Any alteration of the grip at full draw WILL lead to inconsistant shots.

Old 07-01-2005, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Rack and would add that one of the most important things is the actual grip itself and how it fits your particular style and hand. WhatI usually do after purchasing a compound bow is to contact Loesch and have them custom make a grip for me.

Old 07-01-2005, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I go along with Bobco. IMO, if you've got a problem getting a consistent grip on your bow, you've got a bow with a handle that doesn't fit your hand. Modify the handle you've got so that your hand naturally falls into the exact same grip every time you pick the bow up, or replace it with a handle that fits you.

That's the way I do it.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:11 PM

as soon as the hand touches the grip it goes limp. i start low with the edge in the split of my palm and slide up until my nuckle touches the shelf and roll forward, but without pushing. this leaves the entire grip on the right side of the lifeline. the hand and wrist gets no tension at all until after i've released - at least ideally. it also leaves neither my thumb nor pointer finger shoving up on the shelf.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:45 PM

I concentrate on what I'm doing. I shoot pistols in winter competively, and the grip there is important too. It's a mental game.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:37 PM

I go by feel and I visually look to see where my hand is compared to the riser. I roll my fingers into my hand and put my knuckles at a 45 degree angle when I set my grip. Then when I draw I let them relax and fall where they want.

I am seriously thinking of drawing a line on my girlfriends bow and hand so she can consistantly line it up. At least until she gets a feel for it. She has the same problem with her stance. She keeps wanting to put her back foot to the left of her front and shift her weight to the back leg.

Paul
Old 07-05-2005, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would also mention that I like a smooth finish on my grips. I don't like rubber, or any type of wood checkering. A silk glove liner can also be helpful in getting a consistant grip. I would never wear a glove with insulation.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:50 AM
Typical Buck

I use to have my hand touching the very bottom of my rest to assure that I had the same grip. I shoot a no peep now, and it won't let me use any other type of grip but the one that works. It will not let me torque the bow at all.

Quick Reply: What Are Your Methods For Consistent Grip?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.