Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Kenetic Energy

Old 07-02-2005, 10:10 PM

Default RE: Kenetic Energy

I just want to make it clear, I'm not trying to be a prick, I just don't want to see you get hurt is all.

Paul
Old 07-03-2005, 04:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I just want to make it clear, I'm not trying to be a prick, I just don't want to see you get hurt is all.

Paul
i think that's obvious paul. you're doing a good job of explaining things in a good way.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:31 AM

Splint, you need to take a longe look at a photo of an shattered carbon arrow going through an arm. It's about as ugly a wound as you'll ever want to see. Carbon fibers are nasty, and you are at a very high risk of experiencing it first hand. Splint may be a more appropriate name than you realize. Those arrows are simply not designed to reliably hold up under that kind of force.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:08 PM

Splint, some of the stuff I am reading is confusing me a bit. Just for the sake of clarity could you tell us what your set up was when you chronoed your bow. I need AMO draw length, measured peak weight, The measured draw length, the brand and size of arrow, the length of the arrow from the notch in the nock to the insert, the type and size of fletching your are using and the grain weight of your tip. And the known weight of your finnished arrow if you have it (from a scale, not estimated).

Thank you,
Paul
Old 07-03-2005, 04:51 PM

not sure of exact arrow weight
measured draw length is 31
amo draw length is 32.75
70lb draw
29inch goldtip ultralight 5.7gpi
2 inch duravanes
55gr broadhead
340 through chrono
Old 07-03-2005, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont really wanna get in on this but YES ur arrow is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY underspined
Old 07-03-2005, 05:58 PM

60.34 foot punds decent for a deer
Old 07-04-2005, 09:24 AM

Are you tellling me you have a 31 inch module or cams on the bow and you actually draw it 33 inches?! Are you like seven foot tall or something? That acounts for the extra speed I was wondering about though.

You found a shop that let you chrono a bow with a broad head on it? This must be the same shop that told you those arrows were ok with that set up. And those actually fly fairly decent with a fixed blade on them? I find that amazing to say the least.

It would have really helped to know you were drawing 33 inches. You need to take into acount for overdraw. I assumed you had a 29 inch or maybe 30 inch draw. You are even more severely underspined than we originally thought.

If you have a camera I would like to see a pic of you at full draw. And out of curiousity, what type of rest do you shoot? You have another post about your arrows hitting your rest and not grouping well. Are you still using the ultra rest? And if you were using these arrows that is most likely your problem.

Paul
Old 07-04-2005, 09:58 AM

This is the diagram i used to get the amo draw length.From the end of the riser to the nock grove. Is this correct?

The arrows were not grouping becasue a spring had falled out of place, so the rest was not fallingwhen it should have,and i had to fix it.
I got the numbers from the chrono at my house.I have stopped using the goldtips and am going to buy some speed pro arrows
Old 07-04-2005, 10:51 AM

If you used that diagram to get your draw length then that would be your (amo) draw length. Providing you did it correctly. The easiest way is to draw the bow with a long arrow in it and have someone mark the arrow right above where you grip the bow. Then add 1.75 inches to that and that is your AMO draw length.

So am I correct to assume your draw length is 31 inches measuring that way? If so what method did you use to come up with the 33 inches you listed. It is partly my fault, I made a typo when I asked for your specs. I meant for measured draw and AMO draw to be the same. I was supposed to cut one of the lines and forgot[]. I just wanted to make sure you had the correct draw length and not just what the bow said. You cannot always go by the cams, sometimes they are not right. It is better to actually measure it to be sure.

I think you actually draw 30 or 31 inches, because if it is 33 inches you would have to have your rest set up with some overdraw to shoot a 29 inch arrow. You can probably get a little out of that rest, but I don't think that much. I've never seen that rest up close though.

I am glad you decided to get different arrows as well. Another suggestion I would make is to not use too different set ups. You said something about using a 55 head for one thing and then a 100 grn head for something else. You should just pick one and compromise. The speed difference will not be that big from one to the other, but the tune and FOC might be.

I would say if you want a light small diameter head go with an 85 grn head, that way it will be easier to get the heads and practice points. Just make sure your not real light on FOC, which I don't think you will be with that light of arrows.

Paul

Quick Reply: Kenetic Energy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.