Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Question about XX78's >

Question about XX78's

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Question about XX78's

Old 06-25-2005, 08:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Question about XX78's

Hey there....

I have a quick question about moving from Easton XX75 Camo Hunters up to XX78 Super Slams. I shoot #2315 and a 125gr Thunderhead or field tip. How much better are the XX78's?

I checked out an archery supply site and saw how they can make virtual any arrowthat you want. I am curious about making the move to XX78 Super Slams and get them customized for my shooting needs.

Here is what I shoot now..........................Here is what I am considering
XX75 Camo Hunter #2315...........................XX78 Super Slam #2315
cut to 30.5" in length.................................cut to 30.5" in length.
standard 4" vanes.....................................4" feathers in a left offset (I'm lefty)
standard Easton nock.................................Easton uni-nock
125gr Thunderhead....................................125 gr Thunderhead

The bow the arrows will be shot from is my old trusty, reliable, PSE Edge 1000C lefty bow, (the old round wheel dual cam bows). It's a classic and I love it dearly. It is very accurate with #2315 aluminum arrows and is still in perfect tune.

So, long story short, I am considering moving up to XX78's and also 4" feathers instead of vanes. Does anyone know or estimate how much more performance I will obtain from this move to XX78's w/feathers?

Thanks....

Butch A.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:30 PM

Default RE: Question about XX78's

If you are going to use the same size I don't think it's worth the money honestly. The xx78's use a different alloy and are a bit stronger I think, but they are still aluminum. I think they are also a bit straighter, I would have to look them up.

I think most use them because you can get thinner walled arrows which are lighter, but retain your spine. The down side is because they are thin they are more fragile than thicker walled aluminums.

I mean they are a better arrow, but I don't know if most could tell the difference when they shoot. I have used X-7's and the only difference I could tell between them and game getters was the color and the price. Most all aluminums have pretty good quality control, but the X-7's and xx78 probably have a bit closer tolerances.

Try them and see what you think, that is the only way you will know. I don't bother with them though unless the arrow size I want only comes in the xx78. That is the case sometimes.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 06-25-2005, 09:36 PM

Oh, as far as what you will gain in performance, probably not much. You will lose some weight with the feathers, but you will gain some back using the Unibushings. It will probably still be a bit lighter though. I doubt enough that you will notice. You will not have to change your pins I bet. Your FOC will go up as well. And your dynamic spine will get weaker. More weight on the fron = weaker spine, as does less weight on the back. Again, probably not enough to make a difference.

I say if you want to gain some performance go to lighter shaft if you can, use feathers and a 100 grn tip.

Paul
Old 06-25-2005, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good question----The xx75 camo hunters are 7075-t9 alloy,while the xx78 super slams are 7178-t9 alloy making them much stronger and durable.
Your xx75 shafts weigh 11.7 while the xx78 weigh 11.8 grains per inch.If your looking for better speed then there wont be a difference between the shafts.
The straightness factor of these shafts are
xx75------.002" max
xx78------.0015" max
Being that you strictly hunt with these shafts,and using feathers which are lighter as well you probably wont notice any difference at all.
If the old xx75 camos have been good to you and dependable then why change.Put the feathers on the shafts,insert 125 grain heads and go hunting..
You will gain better accuracy with the feathers as they are more forgiving on the release,and for short range they are the ticket.But they have there downfalls as well.A little more noise,and keeping them dry in wet conditions.Give them a try and see what you think,lots of time to play before season opens.
What is your draw weight and draw length.? Maybe if your looking for more speed and performance you can find a lighter arrow within the same spine.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never had a problem with x 75s , they are far more consistant than any carbon made , and I doubt anyone cold tell they diferance between them and x78s , mabe they are more durable , resistant to bending , and that would be a plus .
Old 06-26-2005, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow... great replies! Thanks everyone....

Here is my draw weight, length, etc....

Draw weight: 65#
Draw length: 30"
Letoff: 65%

This is the classic old bow I am talking about. This is my old 1996 PSE Edge 1000C lefty bow. It's got Tru-Glo 3 pin sights (20,30,40 yd), TM Hunter lefty arrow rest, cat whiskers, X-ring stablizer, etc.. It is slow by today's standards, but it shoots the XX75 #2315's beautifully and deadly accurate.

It's been setup to shoot #2315's, so that's what I stick with. I was curious about going a step further to XX78's and feathers instead of vanes. That's all.

Butch A.

Old 06-26-2005, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ButchA I started shooting the XX78's because at the time they were introduced, they were the only aluminum arrow with the push in nocks. Shooting competition, this was a big asset during a shoot. If a nock was damaged you can remove the broken nock and replace it on the range without any glue and it was perfectly aligned. The 78's will take more abuse compared to the 75's and have tighter tolerance when formed. The XX78 is my choice for hunting and competition and are well worth the couple of extra bucks.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:07 PM

I don't see a need for it. You can get unibushings for the xx75 arrows as well, so that would let you rotate the nocks if you needed to. Also makes it easier to change them if one gets messed up. And makes your arrows more resistent to robin hoods.

If you wanted to stick with aluminums, but lose some weight this is what you could try instead.

Your current arrows should weigh around 555 grns. And you have an FOC of around 10%. That is with a tapered nock and 4 inch vanes. It may be it bit more or less depending on what type of vanes you use. And 30.5 inch arrows for a 30 inch draw is a tad long. I am suspecting you want the arrow to hang over the shelf? This bow should have a cut out riser letting you use a shorter arrow. Going with 4 inch feathers and a unibushing would put you at 551 grns. Not much of a differance at all really.

If you switched to a xx78 super slam 2512 at 29.5 inches with a 100 grn tip and 4 inch feathers it would put you at 491 grns and about the same FOC. That might gain you 20 fps over what you are shooting now. Doesn't hardly seem worth it to me. Not to mention they would cost more and you would have to retune your bow because of the larger diameter shaft and possibly a slight difference in spine. If you were going to shoot spots this would be a good arrow though.

That's not that old of a bow, I thought maybe you had something from the late 80's or something. I have a martin cheetah from around 96 or 97. It's a target bow though and has steel cables on it as well.

Good luck,
Paul

Old 06-26-2005, 03:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Paul.... Great reply post! That laid it all out in great detail for me. I still shoot the '96 PSE Edge every few days in the backyard. I remember someone on here helped me estimate the fps and we came up with a rough estimate of 235 fps or just a tad better. My old bow might not be fast, but it is accurate and packs a whallop with a heavy arrow and 125gr Thunderhead.

Part of me is always curious and maybe wanting to tinker with better performance. But like you said, if I can darn near Robin Hood an XX75 at 20 yards and stick bullseyes at 30, why goof with something that works?

Butch A.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:12 PM

If you get 235 with that set up I don't think I like you very much any more. I envy you longer draw guys. That weight arrow out of my bow would barely break 200 fps I bet. Sucks being little. I think that is about what I'm at right now with like a 390 grn arrow or so.

230'sh is plenty fast in my opinion. I could shot 260's with a lighter arrow, but I would rather stay around 230-240 and have the heavier arrow. I don't shoot 3-D or anything though. Everything I do is at a known distance, even hunting.

That's a nice looking bow for its age as well. You must take good care of it.

Paul

Quick Reply: Question about XX78's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.