Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

hog hunting

Old 06-13-2005, 11:04 AM
jkb

Default hog hunting

Well I'm kinda disappointed now.I have never bow hunted in my life although have done alot of rifle hunting.I went and bought myself a Mathews switchback and sat on deer lease for three days.Well while sitting in a tree about 10 feet off the ground I heard what sounds like a elephant coming through the woods.It was three hogs .I shot a 10 yard shot and just one ran off.The one I hit.The other two stayed right there so I put another arrow in and shot at another.Almost got three shots .I have my arrows numbered.The first shot was at a big sal.I sat for about thirty minutes then came down tree.Number one arrow full of blood and number 2 a miss.I found no blood but on arrow from tip to nott.Looked for over an hour in the direction the hog fled.I am shotting a vapor pro seris blackhawk 3000 with a 75grain bacon skinner with one inch cut.Why didnt this thing bleed like pardon the expression a stuck pig .Can my arrow stand a heavier head and still stand up .Im shoting 65lbs and 290fps.What am I doing wrong.I realize I might have made a bad shot but there should have been a blood trail.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:48 PM

Default RE: hog hunting

Hogs don't seem to bleed much. I shot one this spring, and had a complete pass though. He made it 35 yards away. We only found a few drops of blood, but did recover him. The shot was perfect, it just didn't bleed much. I was using Grim Reaper expandables. The head worked perfectly, but the hog had other ideas. Without recovering the hog, their is no way to be certain of your shot placement.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:05 AM
jkb

Well my nose three days later found my lost hog.It was a good shot.Right behind the shoulder and at the angle out her neck.She made it about 50 yards but no blood.Feel bad but I guess these things happen when you don't shoot and you bleed animals to death with an arrow
Old 06-15-2005, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pigs have a lot of fat just under the skin which will close up the entry and exit holes leading to very little blood loss which makes it hard to blood trail.

But with a good double lung shot they wont go too far and if in open country you will see them go down
Old 06-15-2005, 12:46 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: longrifle1000

Hogs don't seem to bleed much
Ive found that myself. Ill arrow about 6 hogs a year with fixed and mechanicals from 1.25" cut to 1.75" cut and found they just dont leave a good blood trails. I have had some good bleeders, but for the most part havent.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:16 AM

If hog hunting have a good nosed dog on stand by, dont touch nothing including arrow take dog to arrow tell him/her what to do then follow dog to your hogg. saves alot of time. works well on deer to, especially here in florida where the palmettos are so think you cant see five feet.