Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Blazer Vane Help >

Blazer Vane Help

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Blazer Vane Help

Old 06-10-2005, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Blazer Vane Help

I bought some of the Blazer vanes a while back and shot them for a while and really liked them. Very accurate and durable. Problem is, I can not for life of me get them to stick consistantly.

I tried using 3 different glues, all of which are the instant types. AAE fast set, Bohning XT and a regular run of the mill super glue. None of which seems to work for me.

I rough up my shafts with fine sandpaper, clean with denatured alchohol, let dry over night and fletch. With other vanes like AAE's, Bohning vanes and such, you can't pull them off. You have to cut them off. But the Blazers usually fall off by themselves.

I quit using them for a while, but decided to give them another try because I really do like them. What i have been noticing is that the glue sticks very well to the shaft, just not the vane itself. Could I have gotten a couple packs of duds? They seem very stiff, but its my understanding that thats the way they are.

Any insight would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Blazer Vane Help

Try cleaning the bottom of the vane itself with denatured alcohol. Simply dip a q-tip in the alcohol and then wipe the bottom of the vane a few times with is and then let air dry. Make sure you use a clean q-tip with every vane.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

I post this all of the time and no one seems to listen.

All you need to do to prepare a carbon shaft for fletching is to wipe down the shaft with a clean rag wet with water and let dry.

All you arte doing when you sand a carbon shaft is creating very fine carbon dust that you can not remove 100% even with alcohol.

I have fletched several dozen carbon shafts with blazer vanes and they will stick just fine if you do this. Glues I have used are AAE fast set gel, Quantum, Zap-a-gap, & Bohning platnum.

Do not clean the bottom of the blazer vanes. They are treated with a chemical that helps adhesion.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:52 PM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

I post this all of the time and no one seems to listen.

All you need to do to prepare a carbon shaft for fletching is to wipe down the shaft with a clean rag wet with water and let dry.

All you arte doing when you sand a carbon shaft is creating very fine carbon dust that you can not remove 100% even with alcohol.

I have fletched several dozen carbon shafts with blazer vanes and they will stick just fine if you do this. Glues I have used are AAE fast set gel, Quantum, Zap-a-gap, & Bohning platnum.

Do not clean the bottom of the blazer vanes. They are treated with a chemical that helps adhesion.
ditto
Old 06-11-2005, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator

Muzzy, I've only used the Bohning Platinum glue on my Blazers so far. I've never had one come loose yet.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bigbulls, I understand what you're saying and it does make sense. But what I don't get is that I have done it this way with other vanes with no problems what so ever.

I am fletching in my basement where its a little damp, not much, but a little. Think this has anything to do with it?
Old 06-11-2005, 02:32 PM

I clean with ajax and water on a scotch brite pad. I also wipe the blazer down with this. You could not get one of my blazers off. This comes from trying ten different ways and it works. I use either beyond bond or fletch tite.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I lightly sand the base of the Blazer (and other Bohning vanes) and it seems to help. I've heard before that they are treated to adhere, but usually when I lose a Bohning vane, the glue is still tight to the shaft but the vane has popped off. I don't know what the treatment chemical is, or whether it really works with all cements and superglues. I have had decent luck with Bohning Quantum XT.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

But what I don't get is that I have done it this way with other vanes with no problems what so ever.
Your other vanes also have had twice the contact surface that the blazers do.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:53 AM

While on the blazers, which is the best way to fletch them, offset, helical or straight? and does it also depend on the type of rest used?

Quick Reply: Blazer Vane Help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.