Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
String Loop Questions >

String Loop Questions

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

String Loop Questions

Old 09-18-2002, 11:22 AM

Default String Loop Questions

After this hunting season I'm probably going to put a new string on my bow and have been considered adding a string loop at the same time. My concern lies with the fact that with the loop my draw length will effectively be a little bit longer, correct? So my anchor point would move back a little as well. Should I consider buying a new release with a string loop head, I've heard some of them have a short head to cancel the added length of a string loop or should I have my draw length shortened a little bit? Or maybe I should not worry about it at all? Thanks for any help guys.

Whatchu talkin' bout Willis?
Old 09-18-2002, 11:39 AM

Default RE: String Loop Questions

The string loop will add to the length of your draw. So if you shoot a 30" draw and your string loop is 1/2", it will feel the same as a 30.5" draw. So you are correct. If you leave everything the same your anchor point would move back. For me when I did this it moved my head further from the string which made the hole in my peep sight smaller as well. What I did is just went with 1/2" shorter draw lenghth and with the string loop everything was perfect. The only downside is you'll lose a little speed. I've tried 4 different releases so far and like the Scott releases best with the string loop. This is personal preferance, but I do think the releases designed for loops work better. It's easy to tie a string loop on to your string but I've found those new super loops work great. A little more hassle to put on but will never come off unless you cut it off. It will be interesting to see what the other guys say as well.
Old 09-18-2002, 12:13 PM

I do not agree with Conan about your drawlength changing by the addition of a stringloop. However your anchorpoint will change some by adding the loop. If your drawlength is correct in the first place I wouldn't change anything and learn to adjust to the new anchor. If you have a release that can be shorten up so the head position is closer to the loop the change in anchor is not that great.

Aim Hard!
Old 09-18-2002, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

I was using a Scott Old Faithful rope release until this year.I switched toma loop and to a Scott Litlle Goose release.I didn't change anything,as long as your using a Kisser Button on the string to start with,it will only come back so far with any kind of release.But,if your not using something on the string to anchor with,then it will probably change your anchor point some.I didn't have to change my draw length for the string loop.

Old 09-18-2002, 04:27 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-18-2002, 09:34 PM

To me, the benefits of shooting a loop far outweigh the drawbacks. If your bow fits you well, then you'll need to shorten the string to compensate for the length of the loop. A different release might lessen the effect, but shortening the string is certainly the cheapest route. Try to use the shortest loop you can get by with and not create clearance or pinch problems. I had a shop install a loop and the thing was close to 1" from the string to the back of the loop. Since then, I've installed my own. (If your loop were 3" long, for instance, your bow would feel like the draw length had grown 3" compared to before the loop. You don't want to have to change your anchor point just to compensate for the loop.) Also, even though the spine requirements will change for the bow, you should still be fine. Why? Well, one of the benefits of the loop is that it allows a "straight ahead" release of the arrow. With "straight ahead" there's rarely any adverse effects to being overspined. Also, by shortening the draw length 1/2", you'll lose a little of the bow's power stroke, so less spine will be needed (meaning your current arrows will seem to act slightly stiffer than they had.) This will in all likelyhood be a good thing.

Here are a list of benefits for using a loop (from Bob Ragsdale's site):
- Eliminates arrow-falloff at full draw.
- Makes nocking point location less critical.
- No need to re-nock after a let-down.
- No serving wear from release aid contact.
- Assures easy one-hand loading.
- Releases can remain attached and ready to go.
- Eliminates gaps in serving from up pressure on nocking point.
- Controls peep sight rotation.
- Eliminates nock warping due to pinch at full draw.
- Allows release aids to be at an angle rather than only level.
- Makes shorter length bows easier to work with.
- Extends maximum available sight range area.
- Prevents arrow from sliding down the string during the shot.
- Prevents release aid rope slap with high cheek anchor.
- Improves shoulder alignment.
- Loop length can modify draw length of bow.
- Eliminates chin slap from inward swinging release aid ropes.
- Can be used with all non-rope release aids.
- Reduces string vibration noise
Old 09-19-2002, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your draw length is what it is, that never changes. Now if you add a 1/2" loop to your string, and keep the bow set at the same draw length, and then anchor in the same place, your going to come up a 1/2" short. You can do four thinds. change your anchor point. go to a release with a shorter head, shorten your current release, or shorten yor bows draw length. When I went to a loop, I changed the bows draw length. The main reason was I already shot my Scott mongoose at it's shortest length, and I did not want to change my anchor( been using the same one for years, and I am very comfortable with it). My only other option would have been to buy a new release with a shorter head, that would be exspensive since I like to keep a backup on hand. For me the most practical way was to drop down about 3/8" in draw length on my bow.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 09-19-2002, 07:36 AM

The part that bothers me with shortening your drawlength in adding a stringloop is the fact that part of developing a proper anchor is correct drawlength. Changing the drawlength changes your anchor references ie. like string to nose anchor point reference. It also effects your bow arm extension distance to re-anchor into proper position providing your drawlength is correct in the first place. I personally would elect to change my anchor slightly over changing a correct drawlength. I have found it is better to shoot a slightly shorter drawlength than a too long one, however a too short drawlength has its downfalls as well.

Aim Hard!
Old 09-19-2002, 08:40 AM

Anyone try the plastic loops that attach to the string with allen screws?

It seems like these would cause excess torque on the string??? Do the string loops work better?
Old 09-19-2002, 01:04 PM

One of the refrences that I use for my anchor is that I can feel one feather against my cheek when I'm at full draw. I've gotten used to that. My current release can be shortened up so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm thinking of going to a Carter One Shot release, it looks to have a fairly short head and I'm sure you can adjust the length. I'd rather not make a draw length adjustment if its possible. Sounds like when I get my new strings I'll have a string loop added.

Whatchu talkin' bout Willis?

Quick Reply: String Loop Questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.