Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Bobcat, Turkey mount. >

Bobcat, Turkey mount.

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Bobcat, Turkey mount.

Old 04-23-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Bobcat, Turkey mount.

I want to mount a bobcat and turkey together fighting. Thats what they were doing when I killed em. anyone know about how much that should cost? The best price so far is $600. Or does any one want to trade a hunt to mount em. I hunt Fl. and Al. Thanks for any help.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:30 PM

Default RE: Bobcat, Turkey mount.

Up here that mount would start at around $1200, figuring $650 for the turk and $550 for the cat. Adding time ($) for alterations, open mouth on the cat and also basework, and youre looking at about $1700 easy.

I guess what Im saying is, for $600, if you like the guys work, you cant beat that price!
Old 04-25-2005, 08:43 AM

same here,I would deffiently look at his work.$600.00 is really on the low side.either one would cost that around here,let alone both.
I have a pic. of one if I can get it on my disk I will post it. really looks good.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

At $600 it'd be tough for a taxidermist to make a living on those wages. Bobcat forms and freeze dried heads aren't cheap and neither is sending them to the tannery if that is what the taxidermist does. Like the others said, if he is doing it moreso for the hobby than the money, and he does good work that you have seen, then it's a heck of a deal. Good luck.

BTW, Bill Yox. I went to a seminar on Saturday where Lonnie Travis was mounting a bobcat. He also won the best in show(People's Choice) with his bobcat display. His work was very impressive. He was telling how you were the man that tought him everything about mounting cats and how you're always very helpful in anwering his questions. All I can say is that you taught him well, because his work was amazing.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:13 PM

KShunter, thanks for saying so. But you wanna know what? Lonnie just does good work without giving me the credit. What I mean by that is, he has asked questions and yes, I was happy to answer them. But, it was HE who improved, and strived to be better. He, in so many words, earned the accolades hes now getting. I cant claim him, hahaha! He does very nice work, and Im very proud of him and glad to see him impress people. Its my understanding that hes selling bobcat mounts all over the country now.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:52 AM

Thanks guys the guy is a friend of my brother. He does good work and does it for fun. I think I might do it myself though. I talked to Montgomery College and they said they do birds in the summer so I could learn on my turkey and then add the bobcat in the fall.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree Bill. You can teach someone as much as you can, but it's the individual that still has to do the work right. It sounds like Lonnie has done a lot of studying of live cats, and put in the time to make an "alive" looking mount. I think he said he mounted around 200-250 bobcats. That's a lot of practice!
Old 04-26-2005, 07:24 PM

KS, I just dont like to take credit for other guys success. I also have a lot of students who have done very well for themselves. Youre right, I believe he earned the accolades!
Old 04-27-2005, 07:55 PM
c j
Typical Buck

How in the h#ll were you able to take them both, Moose75?
Old 04-27-2005, 08:09 PM

Well I don't know how you feel about hunting turkeys with a rifle but down here you can and I did them both wrong!The tom got away from the cat and I watched him fly up and roost about 300 yards away This was at around 7:50 Eastern time and it gets dark at 8:15-20 down here so when the bird got away I shot the cat with a 22 hornet. then went back and and got the bird the next mornin to fill my limit. O yeah I shot the tom with my nova 12ga. I didn't kill any this year with that rifle. I plan to this fall though.

Quick Reply: Bobcat, Turkey mount.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.