Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

how long

Old 02-03-2005, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default how long

how long does it take to mount a deer head. mine has been at the taxidermist for 1 year and 2 months[&[&o]o]
Old 02-04-2005, 01:05 AM

Default RE: how long

It varies, but the procedure can be about a week or two. Before you jump, the time you are waiting on is called a waiting list. You usually are waiting for YOUR mount to come up, and most of us do them roughly in the order they came in, plus or minus. You know, we try to do as many turkeys, are large life size as we can before switching back over to shoulder mounts or small life size, for example.

The best thing we as taxidermists can do is tell you, the customer, up front how long it should take. For instance, at my studio I tell a customer even before the price that Im going to be at LEAST a year minimum, and am currently running over 18 months. This way, guys with time limits, impatience, or just plain anxious wont leave them with me, theyre after a faster return time. Theres plenty of guys that might be able to help them out there, too. Theres plenty of work for all of us.

Ken3, thats not too long to wait, provided the fellow gave you some type of indication to that extent. Good luck!
Old 02-04-2005, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

varies alot by the guy your using have had them take as long as two years for a deer, my elk took just under three years , i have two deer in now that were to take 14 months and that time is about right now i will have to stop and see how they are coming along
Old 02-04-2005, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks you guys. I am just excited because it is my first mount and my biggest deer.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:45 PM

most taxidermist usually take around six months,but if their is a long waiting list it could take longer, give him a call and check on the it. congr. on your first mount
Old 02-22-2005, 03:44 AM

Another thing to think about. If he or she sends their capes to a tannery to be tanned? Alot of times tanneries get swamped with capes and this takes some time to get back to your taxidermist as well, which can add to your waiting period.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

went and checked he said 14 months it has been 14 months and from the sounds of it it will be another 6 to 8 months at least