Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 I hope I don't get riped off >

I hope I don't get riped off

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

I hope I don't get riped off

Old 12-17-2004, 03:19 PM

Default I hope I don't get riped off

I gave 5 birds to a local taxidermist a year ago to be mounted. They are still not finished. When I call the guy to check up on them all he keeps saying is "Well, I have not called you yet so they are not done." I also gave him a black bear to mount about 6 months ago. I agreed to pay him another 30% to get the bear done faster. ("3 to 6 months") I gave him a deposit for the work & at this point I am getting a little nervous, and am not sure what to do. What do you guys think? Thanks.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:27 PM

Default RE: I hope I don't get riped off

I'd tell him to give me back my stuff.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:21 PM
Typical Buck

#1,the guy must take in a lot of work.Does he?#2,it takes,some times,3 to 6 months,just to get a bear tanned.If he sent it to a good tannery,they to are busy!
Also,alot of taxidermist do things in cycles,like deer,than birds,then bears,ect.
As to what this fellow is doing,i could not say,but what kind of reputation,does he have? Did you check before going to the shop?????
Old 12-20-2004, 06:20 AM
Typical Buck

Seems to me he gave you a good answer. He hasn't called, so they're not done yet. What makes you thing he could get your bear mounted in 6 months? As mentioned, it can take that long to have it tanned. Taxidermy is not a one day project, and waiting a year is very common for decent work. Calling him constantly won't help one bit.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:34 PM

M. Magis What makes me think he could get it done in 6 nonths? IF YOU OPENED YOUR EYES & READ WHAT I WROTE YOU WOULD NOT HAVE TO ASK THAT QUESTION! I AGREED TO PAY HIM, AS PER HIS REQUEST, 30% MORE TO GET IT DONE IN 3 TO 6 MONTHS! & It does NOT take that long to get it taned. My father inlaw shot his bear the same day I did & his mount is DONE! & looks great! & another thing, I know taxidermy is not a one day job BUTTHOLE! & I don't "call him constantly" I have only called him 2 times in one year! It sounds like to me that maybe you are a taxidermist, you know, the kind that takes on more work than he can handel. Does this sound like the case? I think it does. Maybe you should read things CLEARLY before you start writing stupid, rude replys.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year I harvested a New Jersey Black Bear on December 13, 2003, the next day I took it to the taxidermist. I'm getting a full body mount, and he told me right there and then it will take a more then a year. I called him not to long ago just to see if he started it, he told not yet he still has some deer heads to do, but he will call me when he's ready to start it, and I will see him and show him the mount I want.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:43 AM
Typical Buck

What a great attitude you have. I think now I understand why he didn't give you an answer on when your stuff would be done. A little courtesy will go a long ways. If you really thought a quality bear mount could be done by a full time taxidermist in 3-6 months, your just as much to blame as he is. How many other taxidermists did you check out first? What was their time/price. It's almost NEVER wise to go with the fastest/cheapest, and now you see why. Did it state a completion date on the contact you signed? You DID sign a contract, didn't you? With no contract, there's nothing much to do but wait. He's under no obligation to get your stuff done faster than anybody else's. If there is a contract, remind him of it. Maybe next time you can check out some other taxidermists and choose one that seems to be more professional, and one that doesn't make promises that can't be kept. But, I have to warn you. If you go in with this attitude, most professionals will just show you the door. Your not worth the headache if you act like that to people. FYI, no I'm not a full time taxidermist that takes too much work. I just like to look at both sides of the story before acting childish and complaining to people that can be of no help at all. Maybe some day you'll learn that if your courteous to others, they'll be courteous to you.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:17 AM

I wasn't going to get into this, but. I don't take extra money to get a mount out faster in my studio. And I also don't make promise's I can't keep. I can never tell a customer the exact date their mounts are going to be finished either. All work I do is on a first come first served basis. All work requires a 50% deposit first. "No deposit no work!" I don't make exceptions to this. Also all deposits are nonrefundable. I send out a bear hide to be tanned, it take me anywhere from 60 to 100 days, some time longer to get it back. I can't make the tannery do their work faster, just because a customer wants his/her mount done faster. Then there is all the mannikin prep, installing eyes, jaw set. And then the work on the base itself. You also have to remember during the day I have customers coming in and out all day. I have to answer the phone. Deal with suppliers, deliveries, ect. Then you have the days when the good ole DNR come's in and want to check thing's out.
Any full time taxidermist, that does all work, which is doing fish, birds, game heads, full mounts, rugs, novelties ECT. Is way too busy too tell a certain customer that he/she will get your mount done faster than someone's else. And if he/she does then they're just screwing someone else up. Everyone wants their mounts done quickly and as fast as possible. I tell everyone like it is. I'm only human, not a machine. I don't work 20 hours a day at the studio. My job is like everyone's else. I take breaks, go too lunch, and leave the studio to spend time with the wife and kids. I work 10 to 12 hrs. a day. No more. And right now with the holidays coming, family visiting. Mounts are going to be a little slower coming.
Yes, I have had the customer that wants that deerhead done in two weeks. And also had them cuss me out because it wasn't finished in two weeks. But I just give them their cape, and antlers back. Tell them to go find another taxidermist, then show them to the door.
Taxidermist aren't miracle workers. Taxidermy take time to get a good mount done right. And your impatience's doesn't help get the mount done any faster.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

time involved really depends on alot of different things i have had different results from 2 years for a squirrel to just shy of 3 years for my elk. the thing that irks me to no end is when a guy makes promises and does not fufill them and no it is not just one time it is many
Old 12-23-2004, 03:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well yesterday my taxidermist called me to come down to his shop to pick out the mount, habit, and base for my full body mount NJ Black Bear. I brought the bear to him just over 1 year, he will start the work this week. I understand that it takes time to have quality work done, and I respect that. Whats the big deal if you get your mount back in 3 months or 1 year or longer. I would rather wait and have quality work done, then to have it back sooner and have poor work done.

Quick Reply: I hope I don't get riped off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.