Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 HOW LONG IS TO LONG >

HOW LONG IS TO LONG

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

HOW LONG IS TO LONG

Old 07-06-2004, 06:28 PM

Default HOW LONG IS TO LONG

my ??? is this, my taxidermist has had my deer head for almost 2 yrs, as a matter of fact it will be 2yrs oct 3rd. now here's the thing he is an exceptional artist as far as taxidermy goes, but he only takes in a limited number of deer per year.

never takes in more than 75 heads per year, now when i took the head to him i paid him up front $350.00 i also gave him 2 hides to tan as well wanted them to hang on the wall or to lay over the bed, well after a year i decided to give him a call to see what was up wasnt at that point concerned about my mount, well his wife told me he wasnt home that he had taken a bad fall out of a tree during bow season, now this man is by no means a young or a small man i would say he runs about 280lbs, so i let it go a few more months i went by his place one day and he told me that all he had left to do was paint the nose and let it dry and to give him 2 more weeks,, well i went over there yesterday and his mom was there, she told me he was camping till monday,, have i given him to much time or am i expecting to much of him,, also last year he didnt take in but 7 deer to do so its not like he was piled up with work
Old 07-06-2004, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: HOW LONG IS TO LONG

I'm guessing he didn't say it would take two years. It sounds a bit excessive, but in his defense, it sounds like he's had more important things to deal with (his health). If he said two years up front, that's one thing, but if he didn't, it's just too long. It also sounds like he's not too interested in doing many more deer for other people. I understand the feeling. It's easy to get burnt out when all you do in you spare time is work on someone else's deer. Your deer should be done soon. So when you pick it up, you may want to ask him if he'd rather not do many more. If he doen't have a sure answer one way or the other, it may be time to shop around for a new taxidermist.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:13 PM

2 yrs sounds like a long time.if he did fall give him the benefit of doubt .I would go back over and check on it.Around here it usually takes a year.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I KNOW YOUR PAIN , MY TAXIDERMIST HAD A COYOTE FOR 2 AND HALF YEARS .I GOT MY ELK SKIN BACK EARLIER THIS YEAR THAT WAS 2 AND HALF YEARS AND I PICKED UP MY ELK MOUNT TWO WEEKS AGO IT WAS 2 YEARS AND 9 MONTHS. THE GUY DOES DO GOOD WORK BUT MAN IT IS A KILLER WAITING ALL THAT TIME
Old 07-08-2004, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I understand your frustration too. I've been waiting on a taxidermist to finish a whitetail shoulder mount that I delivered to him in November, 2002. I understand these things take time, but what really, really bugs me is the fact that on several occassions (beginning about a year ago) he has promised he would have it finished within a couple of weeks and he hasn't finished it yet. And the thing that really, really, really, really bugs me is that he has promised numerous times to call me back and tell me what the status of it is and yet he never, ever has called me. I've had to initiate all contact. The next time I talk to him I think I'll demand my deposit back and tell him to shove that shoulder mount up his nether regions. It's not that important to me anyway.

I blame myself to a large extent for this. I had never used this guy before and I didn't check him out beforehand by asking around. I won't make that mistake again.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

took my taxidermist 3 years to do my buddies crappie he caught.......i took a squirrel there in january....he said a year.....it better not be much more then that.....i may not even live in the STATE! hes like oh ya i been busy i did about 100 deer this year (already had them in and gone in 3 months) and all this and that...then he said hes starting to work on the small game.....thats not a way to run a shop and satisfy people......i take a squirrel there you take a deer there on the same day...your deer will be done a long time before my squirrel......i dont think im going back there.....he does good work....but someone else can do the same in 1/4 of the time....
Old 07-10-2004, 10:31 AM

We wait around 3 years for a mount from our taxidermist. But these people are russian grandmasters. They do around 300 elk a year, 500 mule deer, and thousands of exotics. They are definately worth the wait.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:10 PM

Dead shot If you get back in this area{ohio} look me up and I will show you all the taxidemists in this area.The longest wait is two years, but he will tell you this.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:41 AM

get a new taxidermist!!