Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Bear skull

Old 04-18-2004, 09:29 AM

Default Bear skull

Im wondering about how you would preserve a bear skull. I am going on a spring bear hunt in canada with my barber and I want to keep just the skull for trophy since the bears will be shedding and not have a nice coat. How do I go about doing this?
Old 04-18-2004, 11:19 AM

Default RE: Bear skull

You can either boil the skull or you can get those worms or insects that eat all of the meat off of the skull. If you just boil the skull though youre gonna want to bleach it also.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:19 PM
Typical Buck

You may not want to use bleach because it will make the bone brittle.You can try hydrogen peroxide(repeated over will eventually turn it white)
Old 04-18-2004, 08:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

i ordered those bugs and other critters that eat off the junk and they did a really good job for my deer skulls... hardly had to use and peroxide at all... i ordered them off of the internet... 'ive tried boiling and its a lot of work... you have to scoop everything out yourself practically and some of the tissue can get really sticky and glue-like... if you don't want to do it yourself you can always have a prof. taxidermist do it for you... some of them have those critters that do a fine job
Old 04-19-2004, 12:29 AM

Use the bugs, they leave the sinuses in there as with boiling the skull you lose that.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:49 AM

Thanks for the replies. Whare would I order the bugs at and what kind of bugs are they?
Old 04-19-2004, 05:19 PM

go to www.skulltaxidermy.com to order your beetles it will take a couple of months to get your colony going
Old 04-20-2004, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

You need to just find a plastic tub a rock and an ant mound. We kill alot of wild hogs so we take the heads put them in a plastic mineral tub we feed to cattle. Then we find a redant or fireant mound and turn the tub up over the mound. Then put a pretty big rock to weight it down. Works like a charm takes a couple of weeks

www.texaswildhoghunting.com

Old 04-20-2004, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

My taxidermist fleshed as much as possible off of the skull and then put it in the beetle jar. After that, she did a light bleaching and then put some sort of preservant over it. It looks great.. but is kindof brittle.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you should boil it. When your done you should figure out a way to mount it to nice piece of wood. It would look pretty cool.

Quick Reply: Bear skull

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.