Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Prices of mounts in your area. >

Prices of mounts in your area.

Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Prices of mounts in your area.

Old 04-16-2004, 12:25 PM

Default Prices of mounts in your area.

What do the prices for mounts of all kinds go for in you area? I havent got anything done yet but im looking into it and wondering about prices.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:04 PM

Default RE: Prices of mounts in your area.

it depends on what you want done.IMO I would look at what the person has done so far. In some cases you get what you pay for but then their is always that person that charges alot but his work is sub-par. But in my area deer is done about $350.00, more or less. Bear is around $350.00 to $400.00 caribou is $600.00 and up. But again I would look at their previous work.

(KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE)
Old 04-17-2004, 06:52 AM

my buck was done for 240$ canadian!! good job too, if ya look around you'll get the best deal! Cary aka GRIZZ

Old 04-19-2004, 11:52 PM
jjt

you can look on the internet and get a price range

i would suggest you talk to the taxidermist you are going to have do the mount

depending on the mount check out his work, he should have some in his shop

i would suggest staying away from the back yard or garage taxidermist, most of them do not know a thing about what they are doing they watch a video and say wow i can do that and well they cant

on a game head check for

#1 eye cant (where is the deer looking it should be whichever way its head is pointing)
#2 nose (is it finished farther than you can see with a flashlight 3-4 inches deep)
#3 do the mounts look real(if there are not any mounts to look at take it somewhere else, do not go off pictures, they can be very deceptive)
#4 dont be afraid to ask questions( have you won any awards? how many mounts have you done? how many a year? where did you learn this? how long have you done this? etc)
#5 dont be afraid to look/feel his work( feel for smoothnes in the ears. look up the nose. shine a flashlight around the eyes ears and nose look for defects. make sure there isnt any pulled away skin in any of the areas
the eyelids should touch the eyes the nose should be tucked and finished and there should be no drumming in the ears or anywhere else on the animal)
Old 04-20-2004, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Anywhere from $325 to $475 here. The more you pay, the longer you wait. One of our guys has a 2 year wait on deer. He does incredible work though. There is another guy, a much smaller operation, that will have them done in 6 months. He only takes 30-40 deer a year now. He does great work too.
The guy with the long waiting period is doing a bear rug for me now. The bear squared 6 &1/2 feet and he is charging around $1200 for the work. I hope to have it around October or November of this year. I hope...
Old 04-20-2004, 09:55 AM

150 to 275 for deer, turkeys 375
Old 04-20-2004, 03:36 PM
Typical Buck

$425.00 for deer.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

BEAR RUGS-$125-$150 / FOOT
Old 04-25-2004, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

$400 for deer is pretty standard around here. One guy charges $500 and has them back in 2-3 months.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:35 PM

$460.00 here in Western NY.

Private small word of mouth kind of guy. Only does a handful of deer every year out of his home. He has been doing mounts for 35 years and I got the chance to see some of his work that is over 20 years old and still looks great.

He sends all the hides out to Oregon to be professionally tanned and stands behind this as what gives his mounts their lasting looks.

That $460 includes NY's lovely 8 1/4% Tax [:'(]

Killed him on Thanksgiving and will have him back this summer.......if he looks anywhere near as good as his other mounts I will be very happy.

Quick Reply: Prices of mounts in your area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.