Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
hog and gator skull help! >

hog and gator skull help!

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

hog and gator skull help!

Old 01-21-2021, 03:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default hog and gator skull help!

I am in the process of mounting my 2 hog skulls and gator skull. Running into a few issues: 1) is there a trick to getting the long tusks back into the lower jaw? Everything else went back in pretty easily, but the 2 long tusks just aren't going in. 2) I am mounting the skulls 2 different ways (both will be hung on the wall) - one is on a "skull hanger" mounted on a plaque - how do I attach the lower jaw (most things I have seen glue/epoxy the upper/lower teeth and hinge joint - any other suggestions??); the other skull is on a plaque I saw on the net with a "shelf" - I saw someone attach wires inside the upper jaw and run the wire thru the "shelf" and simple twist tighten and hold the lower jaw with pressure. This sound like best option? With both I am worried about a failure over time and broken skull on the floor.

The gator skull will be on a pedestal plaque. Same issue as first pig skull - how to attach?? Not sure I can use the wire/tension option as there isn't much room to work in the upper jaw. Other issue is the back part of skull and lower jaw on one side is missing (bad kill shot on my part). I will likely need to prop it up somehow when attaching it to plaque.

Any/all help would be greatly appreciated. (I can try to post some pics if that helps)

PS - I have been trying to get on Taxidermy.net but for some reason I cannot get "permission" to post anything????
Old 01-21-2021, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I maybe able to give you some advice. Please send me some pictures.

[email protected]