Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Need advice.

Old 08-16-2020, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need advice.

So, I just had a crazy idea. I want to know if it is possible, and if it is worth it to do it. Aside from hunting, I also like to make things with my hands, sometimes blankets.My idea was the following.

“What if you made a Quilt, but the square piece of the quilt was a different type of animal fur acquired by hunting or trapping?”

For example, one part of the Quilt may be coyote, while another part may be bear, another part fox, and so on.

I’m trying to figure out several factors, and I would like some advice. Is this something that is possible to do? Is it even worth it to do something like this?

If it is possible, how do you even wash it without damaging the fur?

As you can see, I’m still trying to figure things out. It’s just an idea, but I want to know if it’s possible. If anyone has some advice, I would really appreciate it. Jared
Old 08-16-2020, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would think anything is possible, but I doubt this would be worth the costs,time and hassle to make
most all folks that get any hides tanned for use , , honestly DON"T use often, there more for trophy or for memories sake!
NOT like a blanket that gets used often and would need washing often due to such use!

IF you really wanted to do so, I would talk to some good tanning company's and ask then what there opinions on things might be , on care of the hides and how to SAVE the hair from coming off from such use!
Old 08-16-2020, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

Thank you. I appreciate you getting back and giving me all the help.

On second thought, I think before I do something this large, maybe I should practice making quilts, and just stuff them with goose feathers from geese that I take during the season.

That will keep me warm!

Besides, it will take a long time to get all that fur by hunting and trapping.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, it is possible. You would need to have all of the hides " Dry Tanned ". I don't see why it wouldn't be washable, probably hand washed, except it would have to be hung up to dry and it would take a long time and be quite heavy once it was wet. It may even harden up some once it dried.