Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Deer Skin

Old 12-09-2019, 04:33 PM
Spike

Default Deer Skin

i have a deer hide that has been tanned several years ago. I moved and the hide ended up in a storage unit for almost 4 years. Needless to say it is very dry and brittle in the edges. I put some leather treatment on small piece that broke off. Will it hurt to put that on the rest the hide rug or is there a better solution?
Old 12-10-2019, 04:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

If it was tanned properly it would not have dried out. Deer hides make poor rugs as the hair is brittle and breaks off, it would not stand up to being walked on. You could talk to a taxidermist and asked about anything you could use to soften up the hide.
Old 12-20-2019, 03:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Oldtimr, if it were tanned properly, it should still be soft and flexible. Check out McKenzie Taxidermy Supply. They have softeners for hides.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:47 AM
Spike

How much does it cost on average to have a deer skin tanned?
Old 02-23-2020, 08:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Depends if it is hair on or hair off. It cost me a little over $800.00 to have my elk hide tanned hair on and have a cloth backing put on and edging all the way around. Of course a 600 lb plus is a lot bigger than a deer hude.