Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Colorado Antelope horns >

Colorado Antelope horns

Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Colorado Antelope horns

Old 10-28-2015, 11:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default Colorado Antelope horns

20 plus years ago I killed a Atelope in Colorodo and saved the horns and mounted them in a board. Don't have a clue where any of my documentation is from that hunt is as I have moved like 7 times since then. Called Colorodo and they were no help. They don't keep records that far back.

Thinking about wanting to do a full head mount with it now that I have the money, question is

A. What are the legalities and procedures ?
B. How do you go about getting a head ?
C. Approximate cost involved?
Old 10-29-2015, 04:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Go to a taxidermist and tell him you want your horns on a head mount, he can buy a cape to put on a form. The whole head isn't used in a head mount, just the horns and the top of the skull where they are attached. As for cost, every taxidermist has different costs. There should be no legal problems, if you are worried, just take leave the horns attached to the board when you take it to a taxidermist.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can go to www.taxidermy.net and get a cape for it. As Oldtimr noted all you need is a cape and a small piece of skull. I'd guess the going rate for a shoulder mount of a pronghorn is about $400 but you'd have to talk to a taxidermist to be sure. Last good antelope I got I just tossed the horns over the rafter in the barn.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Flags is probably low on his cost estimate. The one I had done in 2009 cost $650 for a shoulder mount and I took the whole animal in after gutting it so the taxidermist could cape it out. He is in Cody, WY and is one of the tops in the country and that was in 2009, but I'd guess you will pay that much or more now if you have to buy a cape to have a shoulder mount done. Good luck!