Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

removing brains

Old 10-13-2014, 01:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default removing brains

I'm going on 2 elk hunts and i would like to take the bull from the first one (if i get one) to a taxidermist where i will be for my late season hunt for a european mount. problem is he says the brains will stink to bad if i don't get them out before that. he indicated he uses a hole saw to enter the back of the head and remove them. do you know of another way without taking a chance on damaging the skull?
Old 10-14-2014, 04:20 AM
Typical Buck

I would say he uses a hole saw on the rear of the skull where the spine enters the base of it.
It doesn't take long for brains to stink,but if it is cold,wait till you get home and do it. Are you going to skin the head out too?
Are you going on a guided hunt and how are you getting there? If it is guided ask them to help you or even do it for you?
Also,the best of luck to you on your hunt.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:43 AM
Typical Buck

i am driving, it is a guided hunt and i do plan on skinning out the head if i am going for the eruo mount
Old 10-15-2014, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Make a saw-cut a comfortable distance from the skull, then skin it. Then use a knife to remove the axis/atlas, exposing the foramen magnum to take the brains out. Pack some picks and curved forceps. You can remove the mandible too at this time assuming you aren't using it in the mount.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:12 AM
Spike

Default removing brains

best way to remove brains is to blow them out with air compressor i use a extension and put the head in a bag and insert the end into the brain cavity and all the brains come right out be sure the skull is in the bag or you will have it all over i do this before i put skull in my beetles